Greetings from Cyprus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Cyprus

Well I did it. As many of you may know I love travel but have been apprehensive of flying because of my inability to walk, as I am now permanently in a wheelchair, and consequently unable to use the loo on a plane.

My wife is Cypriot and I have been coming to Cyprus for 44 years. Lock down has been difficult for us all and my wife desperately needed some holiday. I can no longer do anything around the house so in addition to the extra things for her to do that I used to do, she has to look after me as well. We do manage to laugh about it even though it’s immensely challenging. She is a remarkable woman but with poor taste in menπŸ˜‚

Anyway we booked a wheelchair taxi to take us to Heathrow. Check in was smooth but I needed to take my electric wheelchair to the plane door and also a foldable walking frame to help me transfer to the airplane wheelchair and then to my seat for the 4 1/2 hour flight. A pee break before we got on the plane and then only half a tin of tonic water throughout the flight. Upon arrival in Cyprus quick use of the accessible loo followed by half a litre of water.

I had booked a wheelchair taxi to take us to Polis. We stayed at C&A Apartments run by Chris who has been in a wheelchair for well over 30 years from the age of 18. Every room is designed for people in a wheelchair, with large accessible Wetroom bathrooms. There is also a large swimming pool with a hoist to help people in and out. It is family run and so incredibly friendly, hopefully I shall be able to return. They also hire out all types of equipment you may need. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

We then moved to a hotel in Limassol, the town where my wife was born. Very nice hotel but not as accessible as C&A.

Whilst there we took an horrendous wheelchair taxi from the hotel to Curium. Unfortunately found and booked by me not the hotel.
    • First the driver nearly broke my neck getting me in as my head hit the top of the vehicle.
    • Then the wheelchair was not properly secured
    • Then my head constantly hit the roof of the vehicle and I couldn’t see out of the windows.
    • Finally when I arrived at Curium the wheelchair nearly fell over backwards getting out of the vehicle and that was with his help.
    Still I’m hear to share the story.

We later used a much better taxi recommended by the hotel. In a few days we return home and yes I’m still slightly apprehensive above the practicalities of the flight.

Now the question is β€˜Will I be able to survive 10 hours on a plane next year to return to Kenya?’ Why? Well if you are really interested have a look at www.mararianda.com and the newsletters.

Richard
    Last edited by richard; 5 October 2021, 04:59.
    Richard

I lived in Farmagusta for two years and had day trips up the pan handle. Happy memories. πŸ˜πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜πŸ˜xx
    Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

richard sounds like an amazing adventure...good & not so good. Full of admiration for your grit and determination.
      Ahhh Cyprus...happy holiday memories 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞
      Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

Well done richard , enjoy your time remaining

Comment

Thanks for your holiday summary Richard. Mostly brilliant I see but what a taxi horror story. I’m glad that you survived within any serious injuries. Good luck for your return journey and your Kenya trip plans xx
          ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
            I lived in Farmagusta for two years and had day trips up the pan handle. Happy memories. πŸ˜πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜πŸ˜xx
            Our two favorite places in Cyprus are 1) the Karpaz up on the pan handle and 2) the Akamaz on the top north west of the island. Alas this is now becoming commercial and with lots of villas, whereas the Karpaz remains unchanged. Or certainly it was three or four years ago.

Matthew I shall raise a cold glass of Keo to you later today. Take care.

Richard
            Richard

Comment

Cheers Richard and Indaxi!
              Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

richard Apart from Mr Bean's taxi ride, your long awaited holiday sounds wonderful.

I always think it's great to get away in September/October - the intense heat, schoolchildren and crowds are gone.

Enjoy the family time too.

Love Ellie.
                ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Oh Richard Well done for going. I know you will be having a wonderful time.

How on earth are you going to manage 10 hours on a plane to Kenya without a pee?

The answer to this should be interesting 🀭

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                    How on earth are you going to manage 10 hours on a plane to Kenya without a pee?
                    Maybe a condom catheter?

​

Comment

Cable tie?πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«
                      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by richard View Post
                        Cable tie?πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«
                        Masochist!

​

Comment

Well I was thinking the condom thing. Going through security would be interesting. 🀭

Comment

Well done Richard for braving it, and hope it's a really good trip. And well done for setting up a very worthwhile looking charity.
                            Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

Well done richard You made it and it sounds like you're having a lovely time .. enjoy every minute.!

We are still in Spain and I'm loving the sunshine. Like you I find the journey traumatic and I hate being lifted to my seat from the aisle wheelchair but I tell myself its worth it ! So sorry about your taxi journey...we once had a so called WAV taxi that wedged my wheelchair in with bags and then drove off with us both hanging on ! I'm sure you'll find a way to manage a longer flight... maybe your nurse can recommend ways to help.

Safe journey home,
                              Love Debbie x

Comment

Working...
                              X