Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPcarer
    replied
    No apology necessary, Richard. Thank you for taking the time to write, and for your detailed post on travelling with the wheelchair. Very useful!

Leave a comment:

• richard
    replied
    DPcarer My sincere apologies for my delay in responding. I have just finished and posted a detailed post under the heading 'Flying in a wheelchair' as it may help others when searching the site.

RICHARD

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
    I've only seen one of Little Britain. I just didn't find it funny.
    Well, you can't please everyone. xx

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    I have to confess that I've only seen one of Little Britain. I just didn't find it funny. πŸ˜’πŸ€”πŸ˜πŸ˜xx

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
    It always amused me when we went to arriving flights to collect a wheelchair passenger only to find they had walked off.
    Matt Lucas, Little Britain 😍😍😘

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    This has brought back memories from my time working for BA in Heathrow. It always amused me when we went to arriving flights to collect a wheelchair passenger only to find they had walked off. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜xx

Leave a comment:

• Deb
    replied
    Hi DPcarer .

We normally fly from Leeds Bradford and the special assistance is provided by the airport and not the airline. You do need to book in advance and have all the dimensions of equipment although mine are kept on their computer system.

I have a salsa mini powerchair and I stay on it in the ambulift and am then transferred to an aisle wheelchair to my seat. Because of its height my husband has to then lower the back ( he loosens the screws at home ) and disconnect the power. You also need to check the battery is aircraft compatible. The powerchair is/should be waiting in the lift on landing.

You are allowed two pieces of equipment so we take a manual wheelchair just in case my chair fails. To preserve dignity you are supposed to be on the plane first if you need lifting but this doesn't always happen.

Good Luck. Please feel free to PM me if you want any more information,
    Love Debbie x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    DPcarer You've obviously been in contact with an airline, so know which route you're flying?

Airlines and airports have different rules so, if there is an alternative, check their rules too (which you probably have so!)

Sometimes powered chairs/scooters can be brought to the gate - my layman's explanation (guess) as to why the general practice is to say goodbye to the chair at check-in is to avoid last minute disassembly glitches at the aircraft door, resulting in delays to the aircraft. xx

Leave a comment:

• DPcarer
    replied
    Congratulations richard on a successful trip. I wonder if you could help me with a few queries? What sort of wheelchair do you have? Do you know what satisfied the airline/airport in allowing you to have it on the flight? For instance, did you have to disconnect the battery, or disable it somehow? We have a foldable powered chair that we were told we'd have to give up at checkin at which point we'd have to use the manual airport one. This is fine, but if we could keep the powered one until the plane it may be easier. I'm not sure. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    You both look like you are having a wonderful time.

Hope it goes well Richard.

Leave a comment:

• Gordan1111
    replied
    Nice photo Deb x

Leave a comment:

• LindaB
    replied
    Deb gorgeous photo....Sun kissed🌞🌞🌞😘

Leave a comment:

• Deb
    replied
    Aw sorry Ellie . I wish with all my ❀ you could be here too.

However, You might not want to be after we have a fight diversion, my powerchair goes missing or they drop me 😫 only positive thoughts now ! πŸ™‚

Hugs to you lovely lady xπŸ˜˜πŸ€—

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Arrgh!! I want to be there Debbie, looks lovely.

Hope you have an uneventul journey home. 😘😘

Leave a comment:

• Deb
    replied
    We are coming home this week too Richard so we can share our ( uneventful 🀞 ) journeys. Xx
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X