Wheelchair Tray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair Tray

Can anybody recommend a tray suitable for a Power chair?

Albert's saying that even though he can still eat ok by the time he's 2/3rds through a meal he can't get to the end of it as his arms are exhausted, I wondered if a tray would be appropriate if we ever manage to go out that is, he doesn't want me to help at the moment.....

The dilemma would be, from what I can see is, the tray would be too high to get his arms up in the first place............has anyone used one?

thanks

Sue
    Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Originally posted by Suefromwakey View Post
    The dilemma would be, from what I can see is, the tray would be too high to get his arms up in the first place............has anyone used one?
    I had a swing away tray for a while Sue. Originally it was for my joystick (mouse) but, as my arms became weaker, they'd slip off the tray and I couldn't lift them back up onto the tray, so I gave it back. It was provided by the AAT guys here but maybe wheelchair services would assess Albert?

A table is usually a good height - would he let you place his arms by the plate and he do the rest? Put a non-slip pad under his dish.

Have you heard of the Neater Eater? You may hit the jackpot and Albert's OT supply one, a few forum members have had one.

Video, if you want to know more:

xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Suefromwakey We spoke recently to the wheelchair service about a table/tray but the EAT guy thought it would interfere with the arm of the eye-gaze system which my husband has recently been given. So we're continuing to use a normal lap tray with a bean-bag which means I can position it at the right angle. Hubby can just about manage toast and other finger foods but utensils are beyond him.

We have one of those over-chair tables which fits the wheelchair but sadly it's too high for his arms now.

That Neater Eater thing looks really good but I'm not sure my husband would be able to lean forward to take the food.
      Husband diagnosed October 2020 with ALS. Started with foot-drop and weak grip/visible wasting in right hand. NIV and powerchair user.

Comment

Working...
      X