Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wetrooms

Hi all,
    Been lurking around for a year since my husband was first diagnosed so apologies for not raising my head above the parapet before.
    Can I ask what most people put on their floors in wetrooms. Im not overly keen on the altro type flooring look but it seems that is the most suitable? My husband hasnt yet got to the wheelchair indoor stage but obviously need it to cover all bases. Also the walls...has anyone boarded their wetroom or is tile really the best way to go, or tile around the shower and board elsewhere? Its a minefield. Not sure when the build is due to start but want to get ideas in my head. Please feel free to spam me with photos of your own set ups . Many thanks

Hi Chrissy. We didn’t have any say in my wet-room as the Council did it. But it is tiled around the shower area. The floor has two or three layers of screed of whatever they call it and then a kind of floor covering that is sealed all around. I don’t know what it’s called. Good luck getting your wet-room sorted. Xx
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Hi Chrissy, we had a full wetroom done exactly a year ago - I agree the Altro flooring is boring BUT we get water absolutely everywhere - I take a mop in everytime we use it shower, I find it dries really quickly. I actually use "Bungs" to try stop the water some days I am better at it than others,

Since the last 12 months things have changed yet again and now we find that he is not able to clean up after the loo visit, he uses a push over commode, so again we will be having modifications to the room - probably a Bio Bidet - this never even came into it this time last year,

We have full floor to ceiling ceramics, we had to have the door widened, ceiling had to be re-done, all walls stripped back to breeze block - it took 3 working weeks and bless them they put our old toilet back in everyday (for me mainly)

The council paid for most of it but I upgraded the tiles and units and paid the difference - for me I had to have some kind or normality to it as after all its not just Albert using it, it still needs to be a home if you get what I mean

So my experience of this is - even though your "Adaptations" team come and assess the job they don't get it quite right so off you go again! more alterations

Sue

Husband Albert diagnosed PMA Feb 21

Comment

Chrissywissy
        Forum Member
        Chrissywissy glad you've raised your head...can't help with your query but others with more knowledge will.
        Welcome & good luck👍🏻😉
        Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks for your replies Lynne and Sue. Ours will be a new build wetroom, financed ourselves. Living room will be changed to a downstairs bedroom and then the wetroom added on where we have a carport currently. Photos are so lacking online regarding MND set ups but Ive read as much as can do everywhere.. We will have things ready electrical wise etc for a bio bidet or closomat to go in at some point. I will have a normal bathroom still upstairs but want the wetroom to look as 'normal' as you can do in the circumstances. Chris

Comment

Thanks Linda. Thought it was about time I said hello . I have gained so much from reading on the forums.

Comment

Hi
              Chrissywissy
              Forum Member
              Chrissywissy and sorry to meet you but glad to see you. Hope to hear more from you soon. Stay Strong and Stay Sane. 💪🎉🎊🤗😘xx
              Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Hi Chris,
                we’ve had our wet room fitted out and love it! If i could find a way to send you a video, my husband would be more than happy to give you a guided tour!

Comment

Hi Chris
                  We paid to have our bathroom changed to a wetroom.It’s spacious so plenty of room for equipment.The walls are tiled in large tiles from floor to ceiling on walls where shower affects.Altro bathroom flooring looks smart and cleans and dries easily after use.Low level sink and bio bidet toilet seat.(Think in hindsight I would have gone for clos o mat but it was way more expensive).

Toilet fitted with pull down rails either side with room to put equipment over it for transferring.

I use a manual wheelchair or shower chair to be wheeled to toilet..shower chair fits over the toilet( be careful if planning bio bidet as we had all sorts of problems ensuring toilet was compatible with bio bidet seat and shower chair)

Hope your wetroom works out and hope wetroom works out for your husband .
                  best wishes
                  Mary x

Comment

A warm welcome to the forum
                    Chrissywissy
                    Forum Member
                    Chrissywissy Glad you've come in from the outside, I know it's not easy to make that first post.

How big will the wetroom be?

Mine is fully tiled - floor to ceiling normal wall tiles and anti-slip tiles covering the entire floor.

The most important factor for a wetroom is drainage - if it's inadequate, water won't drain and will result in (dangerous) surface water and possibily flooding under the door to adjacent room/hall.

So... grill the builder: what size shower tray will be sunk/what area of drainage will there be? We went for a large 1300mm x 900mm tray, then used it lengthways, rather than widthways, giving a wider drainage area. The tray is sunk and the tiles have a slope towards the drain, allowing proper drainage during showering - it doesn’t flood.

Make it known to the builders that you won’t accept anything less than full drainage of a 5-7min shower.

I left my shower area with unimpeded access - no curtain or screen - which lets my carer have easy, non-back-stretching access to washing my hair and body.

Take care,
                    Love Ellie.
                    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi

Matthew- lovely to say Hi as well. The place you are made more than welcome but you dont want to be.

Sarah...Hi Sara .Photos would be great ...spam me with as many as you want lol,

MaryC - Hi Mary, yes, I read your trials with your chair....its unbelievable in this day and age theres not a system of equipment that works together. Its not that you havent enough to be getting on with. Yes, wetroom will be based around my husbands needs and hopefully future proofing ,as much as you can do with mnd, for how our journey pans out.

Ellie - Hi Ellie . Its roughly 2800 x 3500 so big enough to be a bit flexible with things. Yes been looking into trays and draining etc. Good to see you had tiles fitted..was wondering if they were a no no but you have given me a glimmer of hope.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and info.

Comment

Hi
                        Chrissywissy
                        Forum Member
                        Chrissywissy. We've just a wetroom installed. one important thing I found was as not enough grab-rails. I have to cling on to radiator to get off the toilet!

Comment

Gordan1111
                          Forum Member
                          Gordan1111 Grab bars can be retrofitted quite easily. xx

Comment

Sorry..not sure how to get the @ names up yet. Gordon1111, have you any photos of your wetroom for inspiration please? Please get some grab rails fitted before the radiator either burns you or it comes off the wall .

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissywissy View Post
                              Sorry..not sure how to get the @ names up yet.
                              Start typing the Username immediately after the @, you'll get options from which to pick, or type the full, correct, Username. xx

Comment

Working...
                              X