Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All terrain wheelchair alternatives?

Evening all,
    I’ve been looking into which all terrain wheel chairs would work well on our small holding. It’s quite steep in places 20% but alternative safe track option available.
    So far the TerrainHopper has caught my eye due to the suspension & capability.
    Are there other off-road wheelchairs that compare?
    I’ve seen ones with powered mountain bike wheels, but they seem a little tippy on demanding terrain. This is just from YouTube clips though. I’ve yet to demo any so would appreciate any pointers.
    Many thanks

Originally posted by Fraxinus View Post
    If you're asking if off-road wheelchairs compare to an 'Overlander', then the answer is probably that they don't compare -- apples and oranges: the Overlander is like a quad bike and the rugged outdoor wheelchair is like, well, a pimped up indoor powerchair.

If you're asking if there's an outdoor wheelchair which could handle your "safe track", then the answer is probably yes. There are some good off-road wheelchairs which would probably do the job.

I need to be Devil's Advocate, sorry, and point the potential problem in having drive controls far away from your body and a seat into which you must climb.

Other than that, money permitting, if you want to buy a bit of kit and use it for as long as possible, then why not? Do your research and decide xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Ellie Many thanks for your honest reply, this really helps narrow the research.
      The Overlander does have an option for joystick control. I guess the position can be adjusted.
      My thoughts are the Overlander will help me access the fields/animals/local area for as long as my mobility permits. Walking about the fields (with sticks) is becoming quite tiring, so I’m being sensible with how much I do. I just love the outdoors.
      Thanks again 👍
      Shall I watch the Rugby or Winter Olympics…..

Comment

Shall I watch the Rugby or Winter Olympics…..
        Rugby, no contest. xx

Comment

Just be wary of spending too much as use is limited. Just saying. 😉😁😎🤗xx
          Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

Originally posted by matthew55 View Post
            Just be wary of spending too much as use is limited.
            Well, ya can't bring it with you so, if you have it, may as well use it to enjoy that limited time, eh!! 😉😉👍

Comment

Evening all,
              I’ve been looking into which all terrain wheel chairs would work well on our small holding. It’s quite steep in places 20% but alternative safe track option available.
              So far the TerrainHopper has caught my eye due to the suspension & capability.
              I’ve seen ones with powered mountain bike wheels, but they seem a little tippy on demanding terrain. This is just from YouTube clips though. I’ve yet to demo any so would appreciate any pointers.
              Many thanks
              It looks like a lot of fun 😀
              Diagnosed 18th May 2021 with sporadic ALS. Limb onset. Terrified of not being able to breathe easily.

Comment

matthew55 yes a valid concern we were just discussing the same point. Lease hire would be perfect! Plus I have an old Discovery that works for me at the mo. I’m just a sucker for gadgets n gizmos!

Comment

Working...
                X