Chairs and in and out of a car ๐Ÿค”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chairs and in and out of a car ๐Ÿค”

Stephen likes to sit outside but the chair doesn't have arm rests so he cant lift himself out of his chair. So I have to rescue him. I've looked at garden chairs but I cant make out how low they are which will add to the difficulty even with arm rests. So I carried the toilet frame outside and that worked but that means I run backwards and forwards with the frame. He paces backwards and forwards so trying to figure out if he wants to be in or out is mind numbing. I could ask OT if she will get me another frame. Would she do it for this reason? but I'd just ask what do you do on any occasion getting someone out of a seat? Its usually just me. I can get him upright but it's an accident waiting to happen. I usually put my knees against his and lift him under his arms.

Another thing is my car is wonderful. I bought a Kia sportage so its higher up and leather seats so it's easy to manoeuvre him. But again its getting him in and out. Its becoming more difficult to get his right foot in, balancing on his left then getting him onto the seat. I stand behind him for extra support. Then of course getting him back out. I'm supporting him as best I can but its worrying. Would I be better off getting him to back in, sit down, then swivel his legs round. I know I should just give it a go but I'd hate to be stuck somewhere and not able to get him in or out. Kerbs do not help. Some are so high and some nearly non existent.

Nice weather and its lovely to get out but there are so many hazards.

๐Ÿ˜
    when i can think of something profound i will update this.

denise Canโ€™t offer much advice on the outdoor chair, they all tend to be a bit low although I do have a fold up one with arms which helps. Getting in and out of the car I would strongly recommend the sit down first and then swivel. Itโ€™s much easier and safer. Getting out you just reverse the process.

Comment

Thanks Tony I will definitely give that a go. Seems more sensible now I think about it.
      ๐Ÿ˜˜

Comment

Do you think a swivel cushion would be of any use for getting in and out of your fancy car? ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

Swivel cushion.jpg
        โ€‹Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

โ€‹

Comment

I've got a swivel cushion but the leather is good enough for now. Though thinking about it I'd rather he peed on the cushion ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Comment

Hi denise. I used to use a swivel cushion. My physio provided me with a sort of grab handle which slotted into the door catch for me to push up on. Sorry if I not explaining very well but I can't find them online, although I'll keep looking. It worked well for a while.xx๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿค—

Comment

Just found it.. handybar on Amazon. Xx

Comment

Hi deb

OT suggested it but his hands dont work.

I could do with an ejector seat. I've got two sunroofs if I practised enough I could get him to land where I needed him to be. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Comment

I have used a slide mat which helps me to get in the car, going in backwards, hubby can push against my groin and spin my legs round. I have to sit in my electric wheelchair in the garden but we looked for suitable garden chairs but could not find anything.

Comment

denise hi Denise. Iโ€™m exactly like you re getting my husband in and out of car. He tends to sit in first then I help get his legs in. When getting out I am able to help him by one arm under him and his arm leaning on the handy bar. It really is โ€œhandyโ€ it also has a light which is useful when itโ€™s dark. I know what you mean tho and I never park his side by a kerb๐Ÿ˜ฎ. Good luck.xx

Comment

All set to try getting him in bum first and find I have a flat battery. Someone I know loves pressing buttons in the car and believe he left the internal lights on. Thankfully son in law came to the rescue. My car has been on charge so I have my fingers crossed for today. As if I don't have enough worries ๐Ÿ˜จ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ข

Comment

https://www.autochair.co.uk/products...er-person-lift

this really does work!!!

Comment

That looks great. Anyone got one and how much did it cost?

Comment

Hi Denise.I have only just seen this post, so you might have had this advice already.We have a Land Rover Discovery. Had one for years,because we had a caravan.My hubby gets me in by , I lift myself out of the wheelchair, turn around and rest my bum on the seat. I put my arm around his neck and he swivels my legs around. I usual grip the dashboard. Keeping the leather seats polished help.It helps that he can lower the height of the car and getting out I lower myself onto the kerb use him to pull me up , then shuffle around to my chair.All this was going smoothly until last week. I had a bad fall getting into the shower and I have hurt my foot. So he had to physically lift me from the chair into the car. Because itโ€™s hurting when I put my foot down he is lifting me out of my armchair and bed, at the moment.

Comment

LesleyB Sorry to hear about your fall Lesley.

Hopefully you'll soon be weight bearing again and the ๐Ÿ‹๏ธโ€โ™€๏ธ can retire - did you get your injured foot checked out? xx
                              โ€‹Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                              Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

โ€‹

Comment

Working...
                              X