No announcement yet.

Advice about house renovations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ellie this is why I wish we had better access to MND specific services. That is a lot of money to spend renovating only to find out it’s not fit for purpose. The garage would need to be fully insulated, plumbing for the shower cut through the floor, and heating extended. Most of us use a forced air system for central heating. I do believe that the cost Angie quoted would include some changes to the main floor loo.

From what she’s said, it is sounds like she’s in a two story home with bedrooms upstairs. Housing prices have gone mad here and I’m sure she would have a terrible time finding anything that wouldn’t need a wet room conversion.

Diagnosed December 2020 with lower limb onset ALS, now involving hands and arms.

Comment

I’m having the contractor come back tomorrow. How big would I want the shower be? He said that the ADA standard is 5 feet by 5, but the shower he planned is 5 feet by 6 feet. From everyone’s experience, what is the minimum shower space?

Comment

AngieCanuck two things to watch out for would be :-

1. If you need to have outside carers to shower you in the future what are their minimum requirements e.g. protective screens.

2. It is likely that you will need at some point to use a tilt in space shower chair which requires more room, here are the dimensions of one of the popular chairs here in the uk. Do keep in mind if fully reclined the person doing the showering also needs to be able to be close enough to shower you.
        Product Specification
        • Seat width: 490mm (19")
        • Anti-bacterial anti-microbial coating effective in the fight against MRSA
        • Horizontal push handles
        • Hard-wearing, flame retardant back and seat covers
        • Width between arms at front: 480mm (19")
        • Width between arms at back: 420mm (16.5")
        • Seat height: 610mm (24")
        • Seat depth: 400mm (15.75")
        • Chair upright length: 1090mm (43")
        • Chair reclined length: 1350mm (53")
        • Chair height: 1175mm (46.25")
        • Chair width: 590mm (23.25")
        • Maximum user weight: 160kg (25st)
        ​Nothing is easy 🙄

Comment

AngieCanuck have you spoken to the ALS society to see if they had any useful information?

Diagnosed December 2020 with lower limb onset ALS, now involving hands and arms.

Comment

Originally posted by AngieCanuck View Post
            He said that the ADA standard is 5 feet by 5, but the shower he planned is 5 feet by 6 feet.
            What exactly does he mean by "shower"?

The shower tray itself should be sunk below floor level, with true level flooring throughout the whole wet room. The shower tray size itself, well, the bigger the better for drainage purposes.

As your shower room is literally a shower room, you don't need to skimp on space.

Personally speaking, screens can be more of a hindrance than a help, even folding, half-height screens, which I had in my first wet room. Now I have no screens or curtains whatsover and find it works very well. (The drainage is excellent) xx

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I’ve asked him to blow out a wall to take space from our dining area to make an actual wet room in our existing main floor bathroom. He came yesterday and measured again. He said that would give us 9 feet across, which is loads of room. Thanks everyone for helping me…I’m so glad I didn’t go with the original design!

Comment

Originally posted by AngieCanuck View Post
                I’m so glad I didn’t go with the original design!
                Me too! I think even your Abby would have produced a better design 😉😁

Comment

Okay everyone, hold onto your wallets: I finally have the estimate for all the house renovations and it is crazy!!!
                  I’ve decided to take Ellie’s advice and just get the main floor wet room. When I can no longer crawl up the stairs, I’m planning on putting a hospital bed in my front room and getting some hospital curtains rigged up for privacy.
                  Attached Files

Comment

AngieCanuck OK that is crazy.

All the stress you must have been going through to try and organise that.

I know the last thing one wants to do is move house with the condition, but are there any single storey houses in your area that might be more suitable?

In South of the UK we have whole areas which are bungalows (so the area around Bournemouth for example) as it was where so many people from London used to go to retire.

I had been considering moving to that area as there is such a choice of bungalows.

Now someone has pointed out a bungalow that is available just across the field from me in the village in Sussex where I live. No big changes required and not even any lips on the bottom of the sliding doors going outside by the looks of things.

Good luck with everything.

I'm fighting the bed downstairs thing (even though the hospital said it a few weeks ago). Some how it seems different if the house only has one level.

Lots of positive hugs

Comment

Wow that is crazy, I'm sorry that this is so stressful. I'm sure the wetroom will make a massive difference and hope it can get sorted as soon as possible for you x

Comment

Have you had other quotes or just this one? Ours varied by £50,000. And the most expensive one didn't include flooring or painting the walls! It's a nightmare getting building quotes.
                        Started limping 2017, diagnosed August 2021. Wheelchair user and reduced shoulder and hand function. Trying to be positive 😺.

Comment

AngieCanuck Yikes, eye-watering 😬

I see there's $13+k of HST in that, Angie - is that chargeable or can it be reclaimed for 'disabled' renovations?

Likewise, are you being charged tax on any other products or services which might be rated tax-free or reduced because they are for you?

It may not make a huge difference but every little helps. xx

Comment

Working...
                          X