Advice about house renovations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice about house renovations

Hi everyone, I am in the process of hiring a contractor to convert our single car garage into a main floor living space for me, as my mobility declines. I currently have a main floor powder room, that will be made a bit larger. The contractor suggests putting in a roll in shower in the garage, as well as my bed. I’ve attached the plans…what do you all think? Any advice/suggestions? The first picture is of bathroom, and the 2nd is the garage
    Attached Files

AngieCanuck I need to convert all those measurements to metric but, in the meantime, am I correct in saying that the en suite will only house a shower?

How far away is your bathroom, i.e. loo, and where is the door, also there won't be any difference in floor levels between the conversion and the main house? xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Ellie there would only be space in the ensuite for a shower. There is a height difference, and we would need to use a small lift to go into the main part of the house. The toilet/powder room would be not far from the garage room. It’s such a small space, but I really don’t want to move homes. My family and supports are all nearby, and houses are so ridiculously more expensive than when we bought our home.

Comment

I’m not sure what a roll in shower is but I would say make the shower room a level wet room. Even if you have a shower cubicle you will need to step into it; if you have a wet room you will be future proofed for all eventualities. We converted our bathroom into a wet room with a council grant giving my hubby many months of independence. The wet room shower area should be at least 1 square metre.

Comment

Is the powder room going to be manageable when you can’t transfer from wheelchair to toilet without assistance? Is there enough room for two people and equipment? What kind of lift/hoist are you planning to use if you can’t transfer to bed? How much floor space will that take up?

Planning to renovate sounds like a better option than moving. Unless you got really lucky, you’d still need to make changes to a new home.
          Diagnosed December 2020 with lower limb onset ALS, now involving hands and arms.

Comment

I had my garage assessed for conversion into a wet room, it is not large enough for a bedroom too. I was told that the layout and dimensions of the bathroom must allow for a shower area with floor gulley, a wash hand basin, WC and their associate activity areas.

Additionally that the space in the bathroom must allow for someone in a wheelchair to turn through 1800 i.e. a circular area of 1500mm diameter, without being impeded by the door. There should be space for a helper alongside a wheelchair in the bathroom.

The position of the WC should allow frontal and side transfer. On one side there should be a wall, capable of taking support rails, a distance of 450mm from the centre line of the WC or a clear space of 450mm in which hinged support could be fitted. The distance of the pan from theback wall should be such that it allows the seat of the wheelchair to be positioned adjacent to the seat of the WC assist transfer. The front of the pan should therefore at least 750mm from the wall or from any pipes or ducting less than 500 mm above the floor.

The wash basin should be positioned with its centre line at least 500 mm from any wall. There should be knee space below that basin of a depth at least 350mm clear of the waste trap and pipe work, to allow a wheelchair user to be close to the basin. Any exposed hot water pipes around theunderside of the wash basin must be insulated to avoid burns to people with sensory impairment.

Not sure if this helps. My house needs too many adaptations so I think I shall have to move but I have been looking at property for sale for months and have found nothing suitable. xx
            Bulbar onset diagnosed Nov 21. No speech but limbs ok so far.

Comment

Just out of interest but have you had some input from an OT into the planning?

When I had my wet room installation I had both my neuro OT and the council OT provide advice on spacing and various FutureProofing requirements. They also had a list of approved contractors to use and also helped me get some grant funding from the MNDA to help foot the bill.
              Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

JamesW 😂🤣😂

Angie and I live in Canada. Her OT is through Home and Community Care Support Services. The words “future proofing” have never been used in my presence.

I’m positively green with envy at the MND specific services you seem to have access to over the pond.
                Diagnosed December 2020 with lower limb onset ALS, now involving hands and arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria C View Post
                  JamesW 😂🤣😂

Angie and I live in Canada. Her OT is through Home and Community Care Support Services. The words “future proofing” have never been used in my presence.

I’m positively green with envy at the MND specific services you seem to have access to over the pond.
                  Lol….. my apologies, I just assumed everybody here was UK-based with the exception of Miss Ellie 🤣🤣🤣

you should never assume because you make an ass out of u and me 🤣😘
                  Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

AngieCanuck A few thoughts Angie:

Could you extend the garage room? Is it detached, if not, what abuts it, and could that space be utilised?
                    Are those 2 doors into the garage room needed?
                    Could the floor level be raised to negate the need for the lift or ramped?

If you're going to spend all that money on remodelling, the layout should fit your requirements. No disrespect to the contractor but not a lot of thought appears to have been spent on figuring out a solution.

The size of the wetroom is tight, given that you *may* have a carer in with you. What if the wet room went across a short wall? That’s why I asked about the 2 bedroom doors. I’d have a concern about drainage and the door, and the shower has to be level access, sunken tray/drainage.

If I had to choose between bedroom space and bathroom/wet room space, I’d choose the bathroom every time.

Comment

A small suggestion... Could you have sliding doors instead of traditional doors? We recently put a pocket door on our bathroom which is a door that slides inside the wall (ours is an internal wall so a stud wall). It removes the need for space for the door to open.

Comment

JamesW I am so wishing I wasn’t here in Canada. We are always so backward compared to the UK. We only have one OT assigned by this community care that is not MND specific. They are constantly “closing my file”, and I’m expected to reapply for assistance. The support worker with the ALS Canada charity has kindly agreed to continually reapply for an OT.
                        We also have zero funding support from anyone, unless we are living well below the poverty line. So it looks like our renovations will be rolled into our mortgage.. (renos estimated to be $75 000 Canadian).
                        Ellie you have made a lot of good points. The government provided OT suggested that I pay a private OT to meet with the contractor. I asked her why she wouldn’t meet with the contractor and she said she didn’t really understand what was best for renovations
                        I’m thinking maybe I should just go with a wet room in the garage and just put a hospital bed in our front entry way…? There wouldn’t be much privacy, but we are so short on space.
                        Unfortunately, the ALS clinic doesn’t offer much support. They don’t have a dietician, or OT, or physical therapist. They are basically just 2 neurologists, a nurse, and a respirologist. Maria and I are basically on our own, left to figure things out on our own.

Comment

I just figured it out! That’s why we have medically assisted dying…they know that they are unable/unwilling to support PALs, making life so unbearable that they hope we euthanize ourselves. Oh Canada 🇨🇦

Comment

AngieCanuck blimey and we think we are hard done by. It must feel like hell.

would setting up a crowdfunding page work in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by AngieCanuck View Post
                              (renos estimated to be $75 000 Canadian)
                              Hang on... Are you saying that converting your garage to a bedroom and shower room is an estimated Ca$75k just for that???

Guys, that's about £50,000 😲

Comment

Working...
                              X