No announcement yet.

Good news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Lynne, that sounds like a nasty fall, especially on such a hard surface.

I hate the thought of you getting up in the middle of the night to take painkillers

Have you asked if you can have prolonged released Tramadol instead of the instant release type? I don't know if there are prolonged release paracetamol tabs, but there are definitely prolonged release Ibuprofen tabs in various doses. It would hopefully mean an improved sleep!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

Sorry I missed your reply earlier but I show a link to the trolley they gave me. Although the link is via amazon the OT should provide it free.
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjustable-...ZJNH391WNH00EP
      Barry x
      I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hi Ellie, it was a hard bang to my head and elsewhere. I didn't know about slow release but I'll as my doc when I've finished the lot that I've got. I'll soon be limited to a wheelchair permanently Lynne x
        ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
        I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Thanks Barry. I'd sent a link to my OT the other day for the same or similar trolley. The Amazon one on the link that you gave is a bit cheaper. So I've sent her that link. She hasn't replied to my first request yet. Lynne
          ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillette View Post
            At the moment they are trying to find me a more comfortable cushion, as well as finding a way of supporting me so that I don't keep flopping to the right.
            Hi Dina,

I have the exact same problem insofar as my trunk is weaker on the right, so I used to tilt to my right side in my wheelchair.

There are back cushions available with one sided lateral supports, or one can be added to an existing cushion - a separate wing-like cushion.

I was getting a back cushion made for me (for pressure relief and no off-the-shelf product was deemed suitable by my OT) and a lateral support was integrated into the cushion - a mould of my back was taken - it's absolutely brilliant and it holds me upright and in comfort, woohoo !!

I know you've other things on your mind atm, but I thought I'd post about it.

Love Ellie.
            Last edited by Ellie; 3 August 2019, 15:18.
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
              Hi Dina,
              I have the exact same problem insofar as my trunk is weaker on the right, so I used to tilt to my right side in my wheelchair.
              There are back cushions available with one sided lateral supports, or one can be added to an existing cushion - a separate wing-like cushion.
              I was getting a back cushion made for me (for pressure relief and no off-the-shelf product was deemed suitable by my OT) and a lateral support was integrated into the cushion - a mould of my back was taken - it's absolutely brilliant and it holds me upright and in comfort, woohoo !!
              I know you've other things on your mind atm, but I thought I'd post about it.
              Love Ellie.
              Hi Ellie,

It sounds brilliant. I may have to drop hints to my wheelchair team and/or OT.
              Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

Hi Dina and Ellie;

Not wanting to be out done by 2 women, I to am weaker on my right hand side of my body, can be a little problem if I am on a slope that way and I don't adjust before hand. My wheelchair has got lateral supports that I can have put in but I like the freedom to move.

It would be so nice if those of us with bad back problems could have a moulded back rests made possibly with some venting system to cool back aswell.

Love Terry
                TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne K View Post
                  Thanks Dina. I've got a head ache, neck ache and sore elbow but expect it's going to be ok tomorrow or day after. Lynne
                  Have you repaired and been out and about, Lynne,

Love Terry
                  TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Terry. Thanks for asking. I still have a sore head and elbow. But it's all easing slowly and surely

My husband Steve took us for a drive for a couple of hours yesterday. At the start I'd tried to lift my 4 wheeled rollator into my new to me WAV but failed for 2 reasons. It's too heavy and awkward for me and the spaces available behind either of the front seats is too limited with my manual wheelchair tied down. It'd be perhaps even more limited with my powered wheelchair in the vehicle. I want to try to drive so have to sort this problem out fast.

My rollator cannot go through the gap into our kitchen between our fridge freezer and kitchen unit either, which is just 24.5". I measured this gap this morning because I had been rearching smaller and lighter weight rollators. I found one that I'm hoping is suitable. It's only 13lbs weight and 23.5"wide. It has big wheels but not so big as on the rollator that I have. But it's only going to be used indoors and between home and car, car and to visit etc. The advert states that it folds small for transportation. It's £56.95 or £57.95. I sent a link to my OT. She's been off this week but I expect that she'll get back to me Monday or Tuesday.

My physio wanted my rollator for somebody else. They're welcome to it if I can get a replacement. But if they can't get me another quickly, then I'll buy it myself.

How are you Terry? Lynne
                    Last edited by Lynne K; 4 August 2019, 17:43.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

I hope it's a bruise on your head that's sore and not anything deeper. Do be careful lifting things and struggling to get them in the WAV. Remember that a narrower lighter one won't be quite as stable. Also its best to keep hold of equipment till you have a replacement.

I managed to get have rails made up along one side above the doors, on the back door and inside the rear door to hold onto so I could put my scooter in the back and get safely to the driver's seat. It had a electric ramp which made it possible.

Maybe with the manual chair you could leave the drivers side front strap off and move the foot rest to create more space. Have a grab rail fitted so you have a good grip. You also probably can move the wheelchair back further and maybe fix it at the front with a central rope /strap and use the two at the rear to tighten it.

I'm quite well, have slight back problems and due to have a tooth out, such fun.

Grandad had a holiday on one of our going out weeks and now he's got a bad water infection so he's missed another week. He plans to try to take me out Friday for a easy day but we'll see.

Hope you can get out soon, maybe see if you can get help at both ends of your trips but above all don't fall.

Love Terry

Comment

Hi Terry, good ideas, thanks. I think that motability would charge a lot to have anything else put in my WAV now. I have a grab handle strap so could try that if I can find somewhere to attach it. I could buy more. The ramp on my WAV is a manual one so out of the question for me to do it. The most space behind the front seats is the near side but it still wasn't enough. As you say removing the foot rests from the wheelchairs could give more space. This car is higher than was my Grande C-Max and I used to lean my back on the pillar behind me when lifting my 3 wheeled walker in. I never managed the 4 wheeled.

I'm quite concerned now that you explained about less stability with a narrower lighter rollator/walker. I now don't know what I should do.

Your poor dad. I hope that his infection clears up quickly and that you have a nice day out together.

The forecast for Tuesday is for rain storms and I have my extra wheelchair kerbs practice in the afternoon. I don't fancy it if it's pouring down. Wish me luck. Lynne

Comment

Hi Lynne,

I hope you manage to find a way round the difficulties you have encountered with your new WAV. It's disappointing when things are not as simple as we imagine they should be.

Good luck with your kerb practice tomorrow.
                          Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

Thanks Dina. Lynne

Comment

Hi all. My OT Jennie passed on my request for a different 4 wheeled walker to my physio Natalie. Well actually Jennie had forwarded my emails to Natalie. I got an email from Natalie to say that she's ordered the walker from services and wants me to contact her when it arrives so that she can come out to reassess me using that. Jennie said orders can take 6 weeks to arrive. Lynne
                              Last edited by Lynne K; 5 August 2019, 16:15.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

Its good to hear you are getting a new walker and hopefully you won't have to wait as long as 6 weeks for it to be delivered.

6 weeks sounds like a very long time to wait for a walker. I wonder where the heck they are ordering it from? - perhaps it's coming on a slow boat from China? LOL

I hope you get your new walker soon and you are able to manage ok while you wait for it.

Love Kayleigh x

P.S Good luck with your wheelchair kerb practice tomorrow.
                                Last edited by Kayleigh; 5 August 2019, 22:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X