Good news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lynne,

I hope you're curb hoping goes well, maybe you can pop down and teach me.

Maybe you can add some weight like a gallon of water or two, two litre ones.

Six weeks is no good.

My grandad feels a very little bit better, fingers crossed.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Kayleigh. I sent links to an online care shop, and to the same or very similar one on Amazon that was a few pounds cheaper. I doubt that it's where they get them from that causes delays. It's the admin department backlogs. Anything to do with the our Local Authority takes longer than you'd expect. The Services Department are no exception. But sometimes they surprise me. I've been waiting for a seat riser for our loo for about 4 weeks so far. Local Authority wheels turn slowly. Lynne
      Last edited by Lynne K; 6 August 2019, 17:14.
      ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
      I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

I think you should chase up the seat riser for the toilet. Mine were delivered very quickly.
        Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

If the outdoor wheelchair practice went ahead today, I hope it went well for you.

Love Kayleigh x

Comment

Hi Kayleigh and Terry. The kerb practise was great thanks. I did some up and down 3 or 4 inch kerbs, with helpful coaching especially when going backwards down. I then went up and backwards down similar kerbs independently. It did my confidence loads of good. The wheelchair services ladies were very happy with my control, spacial awareness and traffic awareness. It's only the first of those 3 things that I was working on. The others are already well established. I'm going to venture to our nearest wheelchair friendly shop which is Asda soon. I'll get my husband to walk alongside the first time. But if all goes well that's going to be a regular venture out for me. It's just under a mile away.
            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

Great news with your wheelchair. Of course as a driving instructor you will have no issue with spacial or traffic awareness. Make sure you get your husband to reach the difficult items.

Barry x.
              I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Thanks Barry

Comment

That's great Lynne - well done! Its wonderful that you can tackle all those kerbs confidently.

I only use low dropdowns rather than attempting kerbs - but I am impressed that you have the ability to go backwards down kerbs.

I hope you enjoy getting out and about in your powerchair and you enjoy your retail therapy in Asda.

Love
                  Kayleigh x
                  Last edited by Kayleigh; 7 August 2019, 10:27.

Comment

Kayleigh, you have to go backwards down a 2, 3 or 4 inch kerb. The big back wheels do the job safely so long as you are perfectly square on to the kerb and go as slow as you can, just about moving. Forwards only for dropped kerbs and lots of those are about 1inch. I was warned, and pass on to all to never attempt a dropped kerb that is not made correctly or is faulty ie one side higher than the other else we could tip over. It'd be better to find the next, go back to the previous or come off a nearby straight kerb backwards (never a curved one up or down) so long as it's 4 inches or less. Good luck everyone. Lynne

Comment

Thanks Lynne. Your advice is very useful. Love Kayleigh x

Comment

Thank you so much for your useful tips, Lynne.

I never had any lessons when I got my powerchair so I have been ultra cautious around kerbs and drop downs.

Happy shopping .. it's so good to do things independently, where possible. I do find supermarket shopping in my powerchair funny, however. I send hubby off and then well meaning and helpful people reach things down for me that I don't really want so we end up putting everything back discreetly!

Thanks Lynne and good luck everyone,
                        Love Debbie x

Comment

Thanks Debbie x

Comment

A word of extreme caution, everyone,

Don't concider going down drops of more than two inches unless you have been showed how to by wheelchair services in that specific wheelchair. Mine would ground out going backwards even on a two inch drop. Also as Lynne says, the importantance of being absolutely square to the curb can't be over enthersised.

Love Terry
                            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Terry, I agree to not go down forwards some dropped kerbs but I'm not sure that I'd even manage a 2 inch kerb forwards. It may be wheelchairs design dependant how they manage to go up forwards or down backwards various height kerbs. I have big fixed position back wheels and much smaller revolving front wheels. But doesn't everybody's wheelchair have this set up? When I first tried forwards down one inch dropped kerbs it was hard until I cottoned on that going a bit faster sorted it. Similarly it took practice going up forwards 4 inch kerbs. I did ground a couple of times. One time was a lack of enough speed issue and the other time I wasn't square on to the kerb. I was lucky not to tip over sideways. I practiced with the wheelchair services lady and got it eventually. When going up a 4 inch kerb getting a brisk walking pace in your chair after you line up square to the kerb a couple of feet away from it. Keep the speed constant as you bump up the kerb. Once all wheels are on the kerb take off the speed so you don't bang into the wall or fence in front of you, and drive on your way at the appropriate speed. Terry, is the difficulties you describe the result of a lack of guided practice, or our different wheelchair designs? Please don't be offended. I hope that our discussion helps other wheelchair users . Lynne
                              Last edited by Lynne K; 7 August 2019, 09:13.

Comment

Hi Lynne;

Don't worry about offending me, I will always PM you if I think something is wrong before I bite your head off. LOL

The wheelchair that I normally use has the big wheels at the front but they are not huge. I have another chair with bigger rear wheels and smaller front ones but that has anti tip, wheelie wheels out the back stopping you going up anything higher than a inch.

Most wheelchairs supplied today seem to have their big wheels in the middle with smaller wheels at the front and back.

So there are many different types of chairs, which is why I said that anyone should speak to the wheelchair services about instruction before trying anything like that.

Also you like me have a good prospective on how things are and angles etc. Not all people are built that way, some can even spell.

My original wheelchair services chair did have the big wheels at the back and they said that they could fit a curb climber on the front of it if I needed it. I think that it's a rocker thing that lifts the front wheels and goes between the foot rests but this only fits certain wheelchairs.

Like your idea about speed, riding a motor bike, if your accelerate it gets more stable, only trouble with that is you can't keep accelerating.

Love Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X