Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair

Hi all

The current wheelchair I have which was supplied through the nhs is very uncomfortable and not suitable for my needs. Has anyone bought a wheelchair privately and could recommend any good websites to find one on? I get a lot of pain in my neck so need one with good neck and back support.

thanks, Ann

ann if your chair is supplied by the NHS and is no longer suitable, you need to ring the people that supplied it. There is usually a sticker on the wheelchair somewhere with their contact number.

Tell them you need a review and why, they should provide you with a more suitable chair to meet your needs.
    Started limping 2017, diagnosed August 2021. Wheelchair user and reduced shoulder and hand function. Trying to be positive 😺.

Comment

Thanks my worry is I havnt got very good access to my property and was refused an electric wheelchair. We have made a,terations but still have a steep incline. I am willing to pay for but don’t know where to sta:rt.

e :

Comment

Hi Ann.

A comfortable wheelchair is more about how it’s adapted and set up for its user, and not necessarily about the chair itself.
        Buying a powerchair is the easier bit, making it comfortable for your needs is a lot more difficult and is usually done by trained personnel.

By making it comfortable for your means, I mean:
        • A suitable back cushion
        • A suitable seat cushion
        • A suitable headrest
        • The backrest is set in a suitable position, as are the footrests and armrests
        • Have a tilt in space function

You mention neck pain; have you a neck brace?

Popular powerchairs are the Quickie chairs and the Invacare TDX chairs, which are not cheap…

Best wishes xx

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
          Hi Ann.

A comfortable wheelchair is more about how it’s adapted and set up for its user, and not necessarily about the chair itself.
          Buying a powerchair is the easier bit, making it comfortable for your needs is a lot more difficult and is usually done by trained personnel.

By making it comfortable for your means, I mean:
          • A suitable back cushion
          • A suitable seat cushion
          • A suitable headrest
          • The backrest is set in a suitable position, as are the footrests and armrests
          • Have a tilt in space function

You mention neck pain; have you a neck brace?

Popular powerchairs are the Quickie chairs and the Invacare TDX chairs, which are not cheap…

Best wishes xx

x£3

Comment

Yes have neck brace but find it really uncomfortable think I wil speak to o t, just desperate to get out of the house after a fall and now no use of kegs.

Comment

Working...
            X