Top 10's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Kayleigh,

You should be the scriptwriter for the next Anglo-American sitcom.

CC good luck getting tickets for the Eagles since I missed out when they last toured the UK. They have always been my most favourite band and I do follow an Eagles cover group called Talon who are very good. I will play Long road out of Eden later tonight.

Ellie I will check out Big Bang Theory as it’s not one I’ve seen. Thank you for asking as the bruises from my fall have now diminished and been replaced with a sore mouth following a tooth extraction today. I have considered having them all removed as the maintenance when you have MND is hard work and the dentist is never a pleasant experience when you gag and have difficulty swallowing. I hope you are managing to keep your feet dry Ellie and that the river Liffey is behaving. The river Trent where I live burst it’s banks yesterday following all the rain. Fortunately I live far enough away but some residents were not so lucky.

Have a pleasant evening everyone.

Love,
    Barry
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

LMAO

WOW now that's impressive Kayleigh! You know more American sitcoms than me ! Actually I know all that you mentioned, but not the British ones.

The Wonder Years was definitely a favorite, and Sex and the City ...American women are still watching them in reruns. Rosanne was ground breaking because she showed us families really are totally dysfunctional..no one was like the Cosby Show as much as we wanted to be lol Loved Rhoda who was a spin off from the Mary Tyler Moore. Family Ties discovered Michael J. Fox loved that show as well

Just wondering what are dippy eggs with soldiers ?? if had to a guess would say eggs and bacon ?

Barry, the Eagles top my list too of all time favorite bands. Have you seen the documentary 'The History of the Eagles' it fantastic ! so well made. It has every member speaking candidly about the group, their music, that time period, and each other. You would love it if you haven't seen it already.

xox

Comment

Hi CC,

A dippy egg with soldiers is a soft boiled egg in an egg cup & bread and butter cut into narrow rectangles (the soldiers). The yolk is soft enough to dip the soldiers in - which is why it is called a dippy egg. It's more something that a child would say really - but I remember asking my mum for that, for breakfast sometimes, when I was a very young child.

I saw on a TV programme that sometimes people in America have 'grits' with a cooked breakfast but we don't have them over here. We have Porridge and perhaps grits is similar or perhaps our Porridge is more like your oatmeal?

I remember watching Roseanne and The Wonder Years a lot - and this video clip reminded me of when I used to watch Rhoda:-

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps1_IH4TOK0

Love Kayleigh x
        Last edited by Kayleigh; 29 October 2019, 03:36.

Comment

Hi Barry,

Do you remember the sitcom 'Sykes' when it was on TV? I had forgotten how funny it was, until I saw this video clip...

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9BsErA5QJkA

Perhaps it reminded you of when you worked in a Department Store in the 1970s?? LOL

Love Kayleigh x

Comment

Hi Kayleigh

We have sunnyside up eggs that sound a little similar to your dippy egg, only its cooked in pan but left runny and soft and than dip toast in it.

We do have oatmeal but that's not grits. Grits is a very Southern food. Its made from cornmeal, I don't know of anyone that eats it here in the North East and have never seen it on our breakfast menus in my tri-state area, but its very common down South particularly the deep South. Interestingly there is a lot of food in the South that those in the North of the country do not eat, and visa versa.

This country is so huge you can go to different regions and feel like you went to another country by the way they speak, and the cultural differences.

xox

Comment

Originally posted by Kayleigh View Post
              Hi Barry,

Do you remember the sitcom 'Sykes' when it was on TV? I had forgotten how funny it was, until I saw this video clip...

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9BsErA5QJkA

Perhaps it reminded you of when you worked in a Department Store in the 1970s?? LOL

Love Kayleigh x
              Hi Kayleigh,

Somehow I missed the Sykes program but I think they were trying to copy Are You Being Served or maybe it was the other way round. Again the PC police would probably rule this out now.

Love,
              Barry
              I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hi Barry and everyone,

Yes, I agree Barry, that the video-clip was very much in the style of Are You Being Served - and perhaps Sykes went to Grace Brothers Department Store to buy the dress? LOL

I thought that Eric Sykes was very funny but I'm also a big fan of the actor in the following video clip (and I understand that he always did his own stunts in this sitcom) ... one of my 'Top 10 video-clips from 1970's British sitcoms'....

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLpwRMS00g

Love to everyone,
                Kayleigh x
                Last edited by Kayleigh; 29 October 2019, 14:19.

Comment

Originally posted by ccinjersey View Post
                  Hi Kayleigh
                  We have sunnyside up eggs that sound a little similar to your dippy egg, only its cooked in pan but left runny and soft and than dip toast in it.

We do have oatmeal but that's not grits. Grits is a very Southern food. Its made from cornmeal, I don't know of anyone that eats it here in the North East and have never seen it on our breakfast menus in my tri-state area, but its very common down South particularly the deep South. Interestingly there is a lot of food in the South that those in the North of the country do not eat, and visa versa.

This country is so huge you can go to different regions and feel like you went to another country by the way they speak, and the cultural differences.

xox
                  Hi CC and everyone,

For some reason, I imagine grits being eaten by cowboys (perhaps, because of the famous Western 'True Grit' ? LOL) and from what you have said CC, about the region of the USA where they are most traditionally eaten, perhaps I'm not wrong?!

Your post reminded me of a recent TV series, featuring two of my favourite TV chefs .....

'The Hairy Bikers' - Route 66:-
                  http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l3yb4o9I1To

If there was a 'Top 10 most famous TV chefs' I think that this American couple would definitely be high up on the list! ...a culinary roll back in time - to the 1970's! ....

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IWUsv8wCNUg

And finally, Cheers! everyone.....

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=70Rq_TGs7j0

Love
                  Kayleigh x

P.S....and as I have got some spare Thyme on my hands ... LOL ...

- What did Bacon say to Tomato?
                  Lettuce get together! LOL

- Good bakers always rise to the occasion.
                  Well, that's the Yeast they can do LOL

- How do penguins toss pancakes?
                  They use their flippers LOL

- What did Shakespeare name his Bakery?
                  'Much a Dough about Muffin' LOL

- Have you heard the latest fishy tail?
                  While the cod was getting saucey with the parsley, the prawns were keeping busy on a chess board, and a fight between two haddock resulted in both of them getting battered. In the meantime, the chef decided to go home - because he had pulled a mussel!.

.... and the last joke is rather cheesey...

- What happened when the cheese factory exploded?
                  There was de-Brie everywhere!. LOL

I hope you enjoyed the humour and you thought is was flantastic - rather than it just being half a dozen bad yokes! LOL
                  Last edited by Kayleigh; 29 October 2019, 18:35.

Comment

Hi Kayleigh

I think that’s a different kind of grit (True Grit) meaning courage. resolve; strength of character kind of thing

The South can keep their grits its tasteless and bland I tried it when in South Carolina just to say I ate grits. Also, they are supposed to be known for their warm Southern hospitality, definitely not to us 'Yankees' they weren’t, I think they are still holding a grudge lol

Here’s some typical southern food
                    Shrimp and Grits
                    Biscuits and Gravy.
                    Southern BBQ.
                    Mac and Cheese.
                    Fried Green Tomatoes.
                    Collard Greens.
                    Chicken Pot Pie.
                    Fried Chicken.

Can I honestly say I don’t eat any of the above with the exception of chicken pot pie which I think is delicious.

Love ‘Cheers’ Sam and Diane go down in history for best hilarious bickering couple in love in sitcoms, in my book

xox

Comment

Hi CC,

It’s interesting to hear you talk of Southern hospitality and Yankees. We have a North - South divide in England. There are ideas or myths floating around that Northerners are thick (.unintelligent) and Southerners are stuck up (think they are posh). As a Southerner living in the North, I would say both sides are wrong.
                      Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

Hi CC,

That's very true about True Grit the movie- it's definitely very gritty! - and possibly one of John Wayne's top 10 movies?

I also like his movie 'Rio Bravo' and as I am a fan of Dean Martin ...

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuAjwvtxEM

I agree with you that Chicken Pot Pie looks like the tastiest and most nutritious option. I think I'd give the grits a miss! - and biscuits & gravy sounds like an unusual combination - especially as what we call biscuits, you call cookies. I sometimes dunk my biscuits in my tea though!! (but not usually the chocolate digestives because it makes the chocolate melt too much! LOL).

Love
                        Kayleigh x
                        Last edited by Kayleigh; 29 October 2019, 23:21.

Comment

Hi Dina

It’s the opposite here, Northerners don’t think Southerners are too bright.

Kayleigh I’ve never had biscuits and gravy together and think it’s a strange combination, but I think frying tomatoes is odd too. I heard in Texas they deep fry butter! but its suppose to taste like French toast. My taste is different though because I grew up on very good Italian food even though I’m not a fan of pasta, which most people find odd, especially other Italians! they actually get insulted ! lol

xox

Comment

Originally posted by ccinjersey View Post

I heard in Texas they deep fry butter! but its suppose to taste like French toast.

xox
                            Hi CC and all,

I've heard of deep fried Mars bars - and I thought that was random enough!

But deep fried butter? - it sounds butterly bonkers to me. But as it's not the butt of anyone's joke, I'd butter believe it! LOL)

.... and I've heard of butter in a butty, but on a stick?! - but you could still end up with butterfingers!

.... and these butter fans didn't need any buttering up to try it! ....

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rUJjW3I65e4

And you should see what they deep fry in Los Angeles (even more candidates for the 'Top 10 most random food to deep-fry' list!) ... and what a rather sweet alternative to burger buns! ....

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9KergsAVDqk

Love
                            Kayleigh x

Comment

Originally posted by Kayleigh View Post
                              Thank you to Christoff for starting this Top 10 Thread.

I thought about compiling a list of 10 Classic British sitcoms (but decided to write a short story to include them in instead).

But I got a bit carried away, so there might be a few more than 10 sitcoms! - and I've included a few American sitcoms in there as well ...

A SITCOM SAGA ....

In a genuine attempt to 'Love Thy Neighbour' (rather than just 'Keeping Up Appearances'), 'Terry and June' decided to invite their new neighbours, Mr and Mrs 'Steptoe and Son' and their lodger over for dinner.

When they arrived, the Steptoes said 'Hi-de-hi!' and introduced themselves as 'Will and Grace' and their son 'Frasier'. Their lodger said 'Hello, I'm Alan Partridge!'. To which Terry replied 'Allo Allo', this is 'My Family' - my wife June and our son and his wife, 'Gavin and Stacey'.

Over dinner, they found out they were all very much 'Birds of a Feather'. Both families weren't the average family of '2 point 4 children' and they all grew up in average homes that were '3 up, 2 down' - rather than being 'To The Manor Born' or living in a palace, like 'The Royale Family'.

Furthermore, June and Grace were both 'Dinnerladies' and Terry and Will had both done 'Porridge' in the same Prison (but they both agree, now, that the best way to enjoy 'The Good Life' and to ensure plenty of 'Happy Days', is by 'Going Straight'!!).

Everyone congratulated Terry and June for an 'Absolutely Fabulous' homemade meal, with all the 'Extras', including freshly baked 'Bread'! Although, when Gavin tasted the soup, he did proclaim 'It ain't half hot Mum!'.

... and a gift from the Steptoes (a bottle of 'Duty Free' Sherry) was a great 'Boon' to accompany Terry's terrifically tasty (but terribly un-tipsy!) trifle.

Afterwards, they got a 'Taxi' to a bar called 'Cheers!' where they do a great half price deal on '2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps' (and 'Only Fools and Horses' would want to miss out on that great deal!).

The barman, who was called 'Red Dwarf' (and was standing on a rather tall barstool LOL) asked 'Are you being Served?' - This is the Wine List, but I'm very 'Sorry!' if you wanted to order 'Last of the Summer Wine' - because it's already gone!

Apparently, every last drop had been drunk by a group of squadies who had 'Outnumbered' all the other customers in the bar last night - furthermore, 'Red Dwarf' said that the squadies had all been from his 'Dad's Army'! LOL

'The Vicar of Dibley' (whose first name is 'Miranda') was in the snug with 'Father Ted'. Supposedly, they are 'Just Good Friends'? LOL - but she has told me she always gets 'Butterflies' in her tummy when she sees Ted! - and, 'As Time Goes By', Ted can't think of a nicer person to spend time with, while 'Waiting For God'!

And in Father Ted's opinion, why should only 'The Young Ones' have all the fun - and, indeed, he hasn't got 'One Foot in the Grave', quite yet! And taking a 'Big Break' sometimes should be no 'Big Deal', as he was usually a 'Yes Minister!' man, who was always 'In The Thick of It' with church matters, including fundraising to fix all of his churches many 'Fawlty Towers'!

Propping up the bar were 'Citizen Smith' and 'Citizen Khan'. They were good 'Friends' and the lodger (Alan Partridge) recognised them from 'The Office' where he worked.

Alan said that Smith & Khan had earned the nickname of 'The Likely Lads' - and, after a few drinks, it wasn't unusual for them to be 'Men Behaving Badly'. LOL Oh dear, 'Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em!', don't they? LOL

Also at the bar was a group of very friendly lads, who said they were all 'Mrs Brown's Boys' from Ireland. LOL

The bar was 'Open All Hours'. However, after a few drinks both families decided that, although it's nice to not be 'Not Going Out' sometimes, it was time for them to leave and get 'On the Buses' because 'There's No Place Like Home'. LOL

..... and on the bus journey home, they chatted to a couple called 'George and Mildred'.

I don't think its all 'Happy Days' for 'George and Mildred' though! ... because I heard George saying to Mildred "Don't you ever stop being such an 'Upstart Crow'?" - to which she replied, 'Only When I Laugh!!' LOL

Mildred then told George to stop saying 'Gimme Gimme Gimme!', every time he wants something because it is very rude! ... and if he didn't start saying please, she would 'Drop The Dead Donkey' on his 'Bottom'!

To which George replied, you must have 'Bewitched' me into marrying you! - and when I am asleep 'I dream of Jeannie' but really, I have to admit, 'I Love Lucy'! the most! LOL

.. and in case you were wondering
                              - Mildred recently acquired a deceased donkey from her local zoo - and she also bought a pet snake (a 'Blackadder') from there too! LOL

Hopefully the snake won't escape though - because it could easily get lost in their garden which is very overgrown, with all the weeds and 'The Green Green Grass'! LOL

'Goodnight Sweetheart' -everyone!!

Kayleigh x
                              That was AWESOME

Comment

Originally posted by Barry52 View Post
                                Hi Kayleigh,

Somehow I missed the Sykes program but I think they were trying to copy Are You Being Served or maybe it was the other way round. Again the PC police would probably rule this out now.

Love,
                                Barry

Oh yes be aware of offending people or the PC brigade, Social Justice warriors or Antifa will be on you like a ton of bricks!!!!……………….now where did I leave my 'it ain't half hot video??

Comment

Working...
                                X