No announcement yet.

A Stephen Hawking Page to this Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, and it is possible that the Gas Giants harbour life. It seems that life is widespread throughout the universe. However, making the leap to intelligent life requires a huge amount of freak conditions.
    Copyright Graham

Comment

BBC newspaper headlines: daily star: Russians to claim venus

Comment

The Russians are small-minded. We have claimed the Sun.
        Copyright Graham

Comment

Deck chairs and sunlotion ready but lockdown might get in the way

Comment

Ok I have a question that I suppose I could look up but if gravity keeps us from floating away why do the planets and so on stay put? Why don't they just fall? Not that I know which way is down 🤔

Comment

It's a perfectly sensible question Denise.

The point is that the planets - or our moon - ARE falling. But their forward velocity means they never reach the attracting mass.

It's well explained by Newton's cannonball. A thought experiment that imagines a cannoball fired horizontally from a very high mountain. As the muzzle velocity increases to about 7,300 metres per second it never hits the ground and goes into orbit.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_cannonball

Doug

Comment

Why do I find this terrifying but on the other hand after 65 years resident on earth it has never, as yet, altered my day to day life so I should just think about things without dwelling too much on the answer ☺

Comment

So called clever people purport to answer questions that have no answer. 😉😊x

Comment

We think the same thoughts 😁

Comment

Working...
                    X