Stephen Hawking Page - The Next Technology Leap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephen Hawking Page - The Next Technology Leap

When I first started programming in 1980, I had to queue to get punched cards so that the University's mainframe could run my program. Computing has never stopped its exponential rise in all that time.
    Copyright Graham

Hi Graham,

My wife who is very logical started her career as a programmer back in the early 70’s using punchcards. Her reason for following that path was that men and women were paid equally although it was predominantly male staffed. She jokes that she never paid for a meal out. Sue later moved on to IT project management. We must be grateful for the pioneers who developed the technology which helps us manage disabilities.

Barry
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hi Barry,

Good to hear. How things have moved on, on all fronts. Who does/did she work for?

Yes, technology has saved our skin for sure. I can't imagine that I would have survived this long in the 70's.
      Copyright Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
        Hi Barry,

Good to hear. How things have moved on, on all fronts. Who does/did she work for?

Yes, technology has saved our skin for sure. I can't imagine that I would have survived this long in the 70's.
        Hi Graham,

I’m looking forward to seeing this new system you are working on. Sue worked for Plessey in the 70’s and the task was to build a program for the MOD air traffic system and sign the official secrets act. She was given 18 months to deliver the project and completed it in 15 only to be told that the system was being dropped. Sue left her employer shortly after vowing never to get involved with government again and ironically ended her career in local government at Peterborough city council.

Barry
        I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hi Barry,

How deeply frustrating for Sue. Just like Nimrod. When the nation loses key technologies, they are gone forever. It was the same for me and I had to create my own company in 2000. By 2008 I was doing ok then MND happened. I hope Sue did ok at the council but politics blights creativity.

My app is coming on but the joy is I am free from bosses and deadlines, but don't get me wrong, I am working on it non-stop.

Take care.
          Copyright Graham

Comment

Working...
          X