No announcement yet.

Looking for Suitable Accommodation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the next month going to investigate information from Shelter and Disability Rights.

At least 2 of the houses I viewed were still up weeks after I visited, the estate agents wouldn't return my calls

Cousin suggested holiday let but it only kicks the can down the road plus would be 2 lots of moving costs

Comment

DeeH Don't blame you for being disillusioned with the whole accommodation debacle πŸ˜’ That would try anyone's patience.

Glad you'd some good news re money and carers.

Recharge your batteries, eat cake, then start hassling those inept estate agents...

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Oh Donna
        you poor little soul. I still have my fingers crossed. There really needs something to be done for disabled access. You must be physically and mentally exhausted. When you think of all the shops that stand empty you would think they'd get in and do them up. Some would be brilliant as homes. Couldn't you put an advert in a paper might save some running around. Hugs to you something has got to turn up soon.
        Denise xx πŸ€—πŸ˜˜

Comment

Hi Guys denise and Ellie

I feel a mission /campaign coming on.

We don't want to take up a council place (long waiting time too) as we want to move to a different area and use the PIP Mobility plus Housing benefit to have a house.

If you are going to spend 98% of your time at home, let's have some space.

I have already signed some petitions and emailed the Housing Minister. So many flats were offered as accessable but you were trapped in them as they were not on the ground floor or have lifts (all flats built should have lifts). Also I hate flats especially having people above me (I know it is picky but we are happy to spend to have a garden and more space). The irony is where we want to move, Cumbria is cheaper and you can get more space. In fact the rent is the same or cheaper. We just need GENUINE benefit friendly landlords.

Northumberland was great as many had down stair bathrooms but you have to go see them ( a full day of driving) as some are not as good as in the pictures. Don't know what kind of magic camera they use but wow some places were tiny. But some I fell in love with at least 5 were just great. Two in particular really messed us about implying that we were in with a chance for weeks but wouldn't take a deposit.

Wales the bungalows were getting snapped up within hours.

Would love to move back to Scotland but many of the places have steps into the accomodation.

On the good news front, getting a bath lift tomorrow. As the shower is just a trickle of water. Have been given a grant for a Bio Bidget too but can't get it yet until in new place. Catch 22.

OT suggested us trying to get evicted (said she had never suggested it before) and the council is then obligated to house you. Would rather not especially before Xmas (2 months notice would still need to be given plus COVID???) but we have a home inspection next week and will need to come clean about being disabled and on benefits. As if it is something shameful and be embarassed about.

Hugs
          Donna

Comment

Donna I think you should write a book. Your experiences should be shared with everyone so they know what it's like. The covid problem might stop you travelling? I hope you find something soon. When you see nice pics can't they supply room dimensions. If they don't you know something isn't quite right. Certainly can't say you haven't been trying. I love travelling and Cumbria and Northumberland are really beautiful but house hunting starts off exciting then enthusiasm quickly fades. Fingers crossed for the next property.
            Denise xxx

Comment

Donna I wrote a nice reply and got to the end and I was unapproved. Oh I give up I don't know what I do wrong.
              best of luck with your next viewing and I hope covid doesn't muck things up.
              love and hugs Denise xx

Comment

denise Got a place near Carlise. Downstair toilet and they said we ould put in the biobidet. It was one I had looked at before, they phoned us up collecting the keys on monday. Just need to find someone to move us before Xmas and pack everything (good problems to have).

Thanks for the emotional support and letting me rant. still planning to keep an eye on the disabled housing situation and campaign to improve it.

hugs

Donna

Comment

Oh Donna
                  wonderful news. I am so pleased for you. I hope you've got everything packed. Great to be moving before Christmas that's one worry out of the way.
                  love and hugs Denise xxxx

Comment

DeeH I'm thrilled for you both, Donna.

Nice to have a Good News story for a change. Happy packing (😏) and hope all goes well on Monday.

Love Ellie.
                    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Great news

Comment

Congratulations from me πŸ‘πŸ™‚x

Comment

Great news. I hope that everything moves quickly for you. I also hope that the new place is totally appropriate MND wise. Good luck 🀞 Lynne
                          ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
                          I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Congratulations and celebrations πŸ’–πŸ’–

Comment

Working...
                            X