X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butterfly

Your opinion needed,

Does a caterpillar fear pupation?

Does a butterfly remember life as a caterpillar?

D. X

I think caterpillars fear being eaten by a bird. That's enough to keep them on their toes.
    Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

DJW Nothing better than a bit of existentialism to start the day 😁

How can a caterpillar fear what is unknown?

Just as a caterpillar's goal is to eat, a butterfly's aim is to reproduce - would Nature allow a conscious memory to interfere with its sole purpose?
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Yeah, you got to love it.

Fear of the unknown is the greatest of all for some. Maybe I should have been a caterpillar, I do love to fly and the other benefits seem appealing.

Maybe the caterpillar is aware and the new sole purpose after pupation opposes its current mission in life. Hence it furiously eats and becomes fat and ironically prepares it for success for its next purpose in life.

D. X

Comment

Originally posted by DJW View Post
          Maybe the caterpillar is aware and the new sole purpose after pupation opposes its current mission in life.
          That's nature for you.

Adult Mayfly have no mouths, live for a few minutes or, if they're lucky, a maximum of 2 days, and only exist in their winged form to reproduce. And yet, a powerful force drives the nymphs to emerge to certain death...

​

Comment

Natures way to stop the mayfly from resorting to old habits. Take away the mouth.

D. X

Comment

Nature is inherently self-serving, so why do we expect AI to be different?

​

Comment

If I was a caterpillar πŸ› I would just eat and eat and grow big and fat. Then on becoming a butterfly πŸ¦‹ just flutter about, have fun and enjoy life and look beautiful.
                Not sure I'd want to think about anything. Sounds wonderful. πŸ¦‹πŸ›

Comment

Oh Denise! I am sure you would have other thoughts on your mind. 😁

I am pretty sure that the caterpillar would have had as bad a stomach as me eating the farmers crops over the past few days but returning to the original question, fear of pupation would be futile, on the other topic, I am pretty sure that when we have done our bit we have done our bit.
                  Last edited by Graham; 8 October 2020, 03:28.
                  Copyright Graham

Comment

Yeah that came under having fun and enjoying life and being beautiful.
                    if I get to come back as something else I might just give being a butterfly a go 😎

Comment

In chaos theory, the butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions in which a small change in one state of a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state.

......the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that may ultimately alter the path of a tornado or delay, accelerate or even prevent the occurrence of a tornado in another location. The butterfly does not power or directly create the tornado, but the term is intended to imply that the flap of the butterfly's wings can cause the tornado

=> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

Cause and effect right? Small changes with big results!!!

Comment

So it follows that when I fart somewhere in the world a building gets flattened? I gotta stop eating beans. 😊

Comment

Am I glad I put my cup down. Matthew I love you. You little horror that was brilliant. πŸ‘πŸ˜‰πŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜‚

Comment

Next time there's a storm warning we'll know who to blame πŸ™‹

Comment

πŸ˜„πŸ‘

Comment

Working...
                              X