• Show
Clear All

• denise
    replied
    No emojies with masks!

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    I can see arguments on both sides. Bad enough wearing a mask.

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    Well it's that issue, social control, that worries me. If it's purely for health reasons then no. I'm not giving up I am just letting nature take her course. 😊c

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    Matthew are you still planning not to have the covid jab? I was just thinking could there be a problem if you don't have it? I know they are saying it's voluntary but could it be if you don't have something to say you've had it then it might be difficult say going to the dentist? It was just a thought. 🤔

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    Anyone who uses children for promoting anything are evil. 😠

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    So if I do go I'm gonna be a Mormon 🤤 I remember them knocking on the door. We used to let the neighbours know so no one answered their doors!

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Scary stories beings found by the look of it Denise. The Family Search site is owned and run by Mormons. They’re collecting names for the end time, a better explain I couldn’t have given if I had my thinking head on, which I don’t. Lynne

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    I used ancestry years ago and it was quite good but someone bought it and after that they wanted payments for different things. I also used family search which is American church based but is world wide. Oh I thought perhaps family went overseas. They might well have done put in the names Knox and Pennington and they are everywhere!
    the website I found for my dad's village had been put together by the village so it was brilliant. There was a story about the Lord of the manor murdering one of the lads in his employment, and throwing his body in a lake. The youngster was supposed to have haunted the streets claiming he was cold.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    My paternal grandparents had a hairdressing business. That grandfather died at the age of 56 before I was born. They didn’t know what he had. My dad, the youngest son looked after him when he was in a wheelchair. As I have the C9ORF72 gene fault we think that it came down from him.

I’ve done some family history too, very interesting. I ought to get back to it because Ancestry have taken the money from me. I must have set it up as a rolling registration to happen automatically. Lynne

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    My father's maternal grandparents also mill owners and when his grandfather died his grandmother ran the mill. Go girl!

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    I have to confess my Great Grandparents were Mill owners in Manchester on one side and Old Money on the other. Sadly my father was a black sheep. 😂x

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    I remember the immersion heater and yes Sunday night was bath night. When they fitted the gas central heating they put the boiler in the chimney behind the gas fire. When the boiler came on there would be a clicking noise and then it would make a terrible exploding noise and sometimes flames. The dogs would run for it and we would sit there fearing for our lives.
    I also recall Doctor Who on tv. We didn't just hide behind the sofa but went outside and watched through the window 😄. Terrified!
    my paternal grandmother had 11 children and 6 lived. All their names where listed and it was so sad. She had epilepsy and ended up in a home. She had a hard life. Where my dad's family came from in the north east I was able to trace my family way back. So sad looking at each census and no sign of children or children living with grandparents because their parents had died. It was a website that showed streets and who lived where and poor little children in service. People in hospital. How the area evolved the ferry service coming to an end because the train arrived.
    I think a lot of food that arrived in the kitchen was dependent upon what my grandad shot. He had a shotgun. I used to have a photo of him and his mates with all the poor animals they had killed 😐
    one Christmas where my maternal grandparents lived they held a Christmas party. All the children were told to run downstairs because Santa had presents for them. Unfortunately many fell down the stairs and many died. 3 had our surname and yet no one talked about them my mum didn't even know.
    My grandad used to do boot repairs I remember him working in the yard.
    I was sure my nan's house was haunted but never said anything. It had a dark hallway which was creepy. One day my nan was going up the stairs and a hand grabbed her ankle 😲

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Denise our grandmothers, great grandmothers and those further back were all working so hard bringing up their families and looking after the usually non domesticated husband if they were lucky. My nan lost only one child young but other women had to cope with losing several and no NHS or National Assistance Benefits then. Charities and work houses were all that was on offer if you fell on hard times through illness or accident. My nan was a star and the backbone of the extended family. My grandad (her husband) had ended up with damaged heart muscles after saving a woman’s life when her carriage’s cart horse ran out of control. He ran after it and threw his whole body into and around the horses neck. He got a King’s award for this (I’ve got a memory block, can’t think what it was called) but no monetary help. My nan worked before the children got up (cleaning offices), after they went to bed doing the same. If she hadn’t done that there would have been no money coming in. She made all of their clothes and shoes (she had cobblers lasts etc) and cooked the most tasty traditional meals. We don’t know how easy we have it compared to those days. Sadly some families then didn’t have anybody like my nan in them. For those it could have been a miserable existence.

Yea our new house, the first one finished on a new Council House small estate. It sounds similar to the one you described, bathroom but no central heating. Electricity was so expensive then that we were still washing with cold water each morning and the immersion heater only went on for a short time when it was bath time. If my memory serves me that was on the weekends. My mum had a boiler etc for clothes originally but after we moved she’d either wash by hand or go to the launderette. Me and my sister often went to the launderette but my brothers never. That was a sign of the times. It was a few years until mum bought a guizer for at the sink and soon after an automatic washing machine. It’d be mid 1960’s then. Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 22 December 2020, 21:50.

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    Thanks Lynne for the pillow info will have a look see what they have. I can't believe Debenhams will be gone I loved shopping there. Soon there will be nothing left.
    When we stayed with my grandparents they had what was called a shipwrights cottage. Small terraced 3 roomed houses. Outside loo and wash house. No running water in the house just a tap down the yard. I remember the tin bath and I'm sure I did have bath time in front of the fire as a child. I remember my uncle's going to the baths. My nan's house was pulled down and she moved to another house with running water and a kitchen and bathroom. It was always cold even in summer.
    when we moved to Stevenage we had a new council house. Still no central heating, that came later.
    I don't know how my nan brought up 6 kids in that house. She didn't even have a kitchen. The oven was in a small space between 3 doors and she washed up outside.

Leave a comment:

• Lynne K
    replied
    Denise, about pillows. I’m waiting for some to be delivered that I ordered from Debenhams closing down sale. I’ve got arthritis in my neck so having the right pillows is important. I’ve bought loads that’s turned out to not be suitable. The ones that I’m waiting for on are called something like Hotel Winter Cosy, description as soft enough for yourself head to sink into them and envelope your head. Well I’ll wait and see. They had other Hotel good quality ones. Lynne
    Last edited by Lynne K; 22 December 2020, 21:46.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X