X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowler
    replied
    Originally posted by Shaun View Post
    Part of our dialect, i will often say ‘where you to’ meaning where have you been and/or where are you,
    Another favourite word of my mine is gurt , meaning big , or large it can also mean great so has a double meaning
    We moved to Bristol when our kids were 6, 3 and 3 months. The two younger ones are all Gert this Lush that and where’s he too.

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    What's the matter with your face? 😩

don't go walking in those clarts in 'ere.
    (I think this meant clay or muck)

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    You are so lucky to have that photo it's amazing. Where was it taken. Do you know what year. 😲 earlies I have date back to 1905ish.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    That is some treasured photo to have, Shaun! Any idea when it was taken? x

Leave a comment:

• Shaun
    replied
    Originally posted by Ellie View Post
    That just flashed a memory of Wurzel Gummidge into my crazy mind, Shaun, and brought me right back to my childhood - thanks, 😘
    Hello Ellie, this is picture of my great great great grandfather looks a bit like wurzel (on the right)
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    I iz West Country
    That just flashed a memory of Wurzel Gummidge into my crazy mind, Shaun, and brought me right back to my childhood - thanks, 😘

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    I'm stoned. Waste not, want not. And I grew up in Devon 😄x

Leave a comment:

• Shaun
    replied
    Originally posted by denise View Post
    Shaun isn't that Somerset or Bristol?
    I iz West Country

Leave a comment:

• matthew55
    replied
    Waste not, not want. A saying that came in post WW2. 😄x

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    Shaun isn't that Somerset or Bristol?

Leave a comment:

• Beemer
    replied
    Part of our dialect, i will often say ‘where you to’ meaning where have you been and/or where are you,
    Another favourite word of my mine is gurt , meaning big , or large it can also mean great so has a double meaning
    My father in law used to call his ex wife Gert. Her name was Christine.

Leave a comment:

• Shaun
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Beemer
    replied
    I am a southerner, and have been training to be a northener since 1997, I have learned so many new sayings since marrying a Yorkshire lass (there's one), that I cannot print them all. I love the broad Yorkshire accent though.

Leave a comment:

• Suefromwakey
    replied
    If you ant gor owt good to sey dont say owt!

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    We moved from South East to South West. Had my washing on the line but it was a dull, windless day. An elderly lady was walking past and she nodded in the direction of my washing and said "they're like hanged men" . 🤤 I've never heard that saying since but it's one that stayed with me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X