My avatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My avatar

I have just accessed the Forum on my Mac for the first time rather than my iPad and been able to insert my Avatar. Why do they call it an Avatar and not a Profile Photo?

Anyway for those interested the two ladies each side of me are Nasalie and Mary and they live in the Masai Mara in Kenya. I have known them for over18 years.

You may also be interested to look at http://www.mararianda.com/ which shows what I do when I am not working. Hopefully I will be fit enough to return again at the end of this year.

Richard
    Richard

hi richard
    nice to see you. what a lovely photo and video. well done to you. i hope you get your wish to return and this horrible virus doesn't upset your plans.
    denise xx

Comment

Hats off to you, Richard.

Many of us visit the Maasai Mara or similar locales and are more interested in seeing the wildlife, rather than the local school facilities, so I really admire you for actually doing something very tangible.

My kids' primary school sends their 'used' textbooks to schools in Uganda and the kids bring in boxes of chalk, pencils and erasers to go in the parcels - 'basic' items which we take for granted...

Hope you do get to visit the fruits of your labour again.

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Good on ya Richard. It’s a wonderful thing you are doing.

Comment

no idea why they call it an avatar i was expecting to see a lot of blue people.

/ˈavətɑː/

noun
          1. 1.
            HINDUISM
            a manifestation of a deity or released soul in bodily form on earth; an incarnate divine teacher.
          2. 2.
            an icon or figure representing a particular person in a video game, internet forum, etc.
            "conversation is depicted in a balloon over the avatar's head"

Comment

Hi Richard,

Thanks for posting the link to the charity. I found it a heartwarming story which I will share with my daughters who are both primary school teachers. We take so much for granted in the developed world.
            I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry52 View Post
              Hi Richard,

Thanks for posting the link to the charity. I found it a heartwarming story which I will share with my daughters who are both primary school teachers. We take so much for granted in the developed world.
              Barry may I suggest that if you have time you look at the newsletters, they show everything over the last 18 years.

The thing that is most profound is that we have never done any fund raising and support juts comes in from word and mouth. We say we are a small charity with a big faith.

Richard
              Richard

Comment

Wonderful charity Richard. I sincerely hope that this charity and others can sponsor more children, especially girls (who have the most challenges to being educated). The video was heartwarming to watch but also worrying with regard to the difficulties that those lovely people face day after day. Now Covid is moving in on them. Lynne x
                ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

That's brilliant Richard and a wonderful goal for you to return at the end of this year.

When I was teaching we sponsored a school for orphaned children in Matugga. Some of our staff's grown up children volunteered to work there and were amazed at how grateful the children are to receive an education. When the pastor from Matugga visited our school he couldn't believe how casual our children are with their equipment and belongings. They loved hearing about the school and many of them did extra fundraising.

I hope with all my heart you are able to return,
                  Love Debbie x

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words.

Richard
                    Richard

Comment

Working...
                    X