Early Bird Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahoy shipmates!
    I vaguely remembered that International Talk Like a Pirate Day was in September, but when I looked it up it was last week on the 19th
    Missed it. No rum ration and a lick of the cat for me today then. Shiver me whatsits.
    Hi, I'm Eddie.
    Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.
    Still walking and talking, and wondering what the future will bring.

Comment

I'm making a right mess with September. I don't know where I am. πŸ™„
      when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

Good afternoon Lovely People 😘😘

I think it's Wednesday, or Windsday, as Winne the Pooh would say.
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

denise Oh, forget about September; start getting your head around October 😲

​

Comment

Yeah and the whole clock changing thing. Ellie. Then I wont know what day it is, what month or even the time. πŸ™„

Comment

A bit chilly in the house last night - probably caused by us having the door open while we stood outside viewing the close pass of Jupiter. Feet were cold so it was socks in bed last night
              Wife has just swapped my summer weight duvet for a thicker one, and also just lit a log fire in the living room - which is just 6 feet from where my bed now is. Gonna be toasty tonight
              Hi, I'm Eddie.
              Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.

Comment

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel View Post
                Wife has just swapped my summer weight duvet for a thicker one, and also just lit a log fire in the living room - which is just 6 feet from where my bed now is. Gonna be toasty tonight
                Have the Wife paint a ginormous H on your lawn; we're on our way.​

​

Comment

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel View Post
                  Ahoy shipmates!
                  I vaguely remembered that International Talk Like a Pirate Day was in September, but when I looked it up it was last week on the 19th
                  Missed it. No rum ration and a lick of the cat for me today then. Shiver me whatsits.
                  Have you ever been to Bristol and further into the South West?
                  2020: odd symptoms. Nov 2021: Hand atrophy.. Mar 2022: Second arm atrophy - Confirmed Apr 2022: MND.
                  Also Crohn's Disease from 2005ish. (Hi, I'm Dan in Cheshire)...

Comment

Arcadian do I take it you mean that anyone southwest of Bristol sounds like a pirate?

Comment

Arrr ;-)

I was trying to juggle logistics at the weekend around my London research trip, with a possible social stop over on the Saturday at Bristol.

Amazing City and surroundings for art, history, culture, food etc.

My conservation work overlap had me travelling between Bristol, Taunton, Rackenford and Exeter a couple of times a year.
                      2020: odd symptoms. Nov 2021: Hand atrophy.. Mar 2022: Second arm atrophy - Confirmed Apr 2022: MND.
                      Also Crohn's Disease from 2005ish. (Hi, I'm Dan in Cheshire)...

Comment

I lived in clevedon for 30 years. Bristol is a wonderful city. Oh and me and my family do not have local accents. 🌝

Comment

Why do they always depict pirates with south-western accents? I’d love one to be from Liverpool or Birmingham πŸ˜…

Yow yow yow and a bottle of rum
                          Foxes Never Quit πŸ’™

Comment

Not quite sure of the accent Jack sparrow had. I guess they came from anywhere. Perhaps it was a way of speaking all pirates understood bit like les dawson doing millworker impressions. πŸ˜‰

Comment

Originally posted by JamesW View Post
                              Why do they always depict pirates with south-western accents?
                              The literary classic about pirates which has been adapted for film several times is of course Treasure Island.
                              The first talking version was in 1934, and starts in "the Admiral Benbow, a tavern near Bristol".
                              (from t'internet): "Robert Newton became an iconic Long John Silver in Disney 's 1950 live-action film. The accent Newton uses in his Long John Silver role is actually an English West Country (Devonshire, Somerset, and especially Cornwall) accent. I'm sure Newton elected a West Country accent because of all the historical privateers and pirates that hailed from the West Country--Blackbeard was from Somerset and Sir Francis Drake from Devonshire, for example."

Bristol really was a busy seafaring port back in the day, and the Bristol accent would have been heard far and wide.
                              I live in Gloucester (or "Glawster" as the locals might say) and Bristol is quite close.

As for Jack Sparrow, I hear the studio were rather dismayed when they heard the accent Johnny Depp was going to use, since he modelled it on Rolling Stone Keith Richards (born in Kent), but the films were such a success they brought in Keith to play Jack's father.
                              Hi, I'm Eddie.

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                                I lived in clevedon for 30 years. Bristol is a wonderful city. Oh and me and my family do not have local accents. 🌝
                                Denise, not only do we live close by now but it looks like we lived closed by before. I was in Long Ashton, about 20 minutes away.

Comment

Working...
                                X