No announcement yet.

Audio Book Club πŸ“–πŸ“–πŸ“–

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LindaB I finished Sankofa. Thought the ending was a tad rushed and weak, at least compared to the rest of the book, but still a good read and certainly thought provoking.

Thanks again xx
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
      LindaB I finished Sankofa. Thought the ending was a tad rushed and weak, at least compared to the rest of the book, but still a good read and certainly thought provoking.

Thanks again xx
      I've fallen behind with reading...will get back on it tomorrow. I hate a poor ending😜but will see it throughπŸ’‹
      Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

I haven’t read anything over Christmas. That’s really unusual for me as I usually read 4 or 5 books each week xx
        ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Lynne K you'll get back to it Im sure....but a lot going on for you just now. Take care xx
          Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

LindaB thanks Linda xx
            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaB View Post
              I hate a poor ending
              I wouldn't go so far as a "poor ending", I just thought it was weaker than the rest of the book but it will be interesting to hear what others think.

As for you getting back to the book today - yeah, yeah... we both know Wordle will win today's leisure time battle 🀣🀣🀣😘

​

Comment

Well it was such a sudden ending I thought I'd skipped a few pages Ellie ....had to check & check againπŸ€“πŸ˜ƒ

I did enjoy the writing & story overall in Sankofa...probably not a book I would have chosen had I not heard it discussed on TV. I wanted to know more....

What's next.....πŸ“š

Comment

Well it was such a sudden ending I thought I'd skipped a few pages
                  So, it wasn't just me then...

I liked these books, not sure if they've been mentioned before or if they're on BorrowBox, Kindle etc.
                  The Nightingale and Firefly Lane, both by Kristin Hannah
                  Educated, Tara Westover
                  Everything I Never Told You, Catherine Ng

My current listen is Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty.

​

Comment

'Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty.'
                    I think that's the family from the series I watched 'Dopesick' with Michael Keaton.

I'll look at the othersπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜˜

Comment

I think that's the family from the series I watched 'Dopesick' with Michael Keaton.
                      It is indeed, a very interesting read xx

​

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post

It is indeed, a very interesting read xx
                        I really enjoyed the series...😘

Comment

I think Lynne K recommended the author David Baldacci previously.πŸ€”

I've downloaded Mercy & Long Road to Mercy via BorrowBox. I've never read his books so will give him a goπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ“š

Comment

LindaB thats great Linda. You ought to be wow’d by Baldacci, enjoy xx

Comment

Not an Audiobook but a podcast: Sweet Bobby (6 eps) is worth a listen and think "would I have done the same?"

And I thoroughly enjoyed The Lazarus Heist on BBC Sounds (10 eps) xx

​

Comment

All the Light We Cannot See is a war novel written by American author Anthony Doerr, published by Scribner on May 6, 2014. It won the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the 2015 Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction.
                                Anthony Doerr
                                United States
                                English
                                Historical
                                2014 (Scribner)
                                Print (hardback and softback)
                                544 (hardback); 531 (softback)
                                978-1-4767-4658-6
                                Set in occupied France during World War II, the novel centers on a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths eventually cross.

Saw this book recommended so thought I'd note it as a future readπŸ“š

Comment

Working...
                                X