No announcement yet.

Audio Book Club πŸ“–πŸ“–πŸ“–

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with you Ellie. Everything was there for me. Ticked a lot of boxes. Add to that I've read/heard about past events between China and Japan but not a lot about Korea. Makes me want to know more.
    I don't want to give away too much but a brilliant book. Good choice Ellie xx

Comment

With my disjointed read, I haven't got everything clearly in my mind, but enjoyed the book, and as people said, found it interesting learning about Koreans in Japan for the first time. A lovely range of characters, warmly described, including some strong resilient women, with a range of challenges on top of second class citizenship. Thanks for getting me to "read" this book, Ellie, and to set this up Linda xx
      Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

Have to say towards the end when there was more people and so many names I was getting confused as to who was who. I had to keep going back a bit. Never figured out how Japan, such a small country, could have control over China.

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
          Never figured out how Japan, such a small country, could have control over China.
          Age old scenario - a more centralised industrialised nation invading/conquering/colonising larger countries, typically having a feudal, tribal or fragmented system of government, and 'successfully' ruling through fear, violence and threat.

Not that it makes much difference, but Japan 'only' controlled about 25% of China.

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Bit like us lot ruling the empire!

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
              Bit like us lot ruling the empire!
              Well, I didn't want to say... 😏

​

Comment

I loved this and as I've said before, its probably not something I'd have chosen. I don't normally like books set over several decades but the characters were still well developed. I was hooked right from the first page which is unusual and I admired the brave, resillient and stoical characters ( just like our forum members !!)

It was interesting to learn about life in Korea and post war Japan.

Thank you for the book club idea Linda and the recommendation Ellie. Its not easy to find a book to appeal to everyone. I had several new books bought for my birthday a few weeks ago so I'll report back.

Thanks all,
                Love Debbie x

Comment

Deb well maybe one of your birthday books could be our August book club choice?πŸ“šπŸ€”πŸ˜ƒ

If it can be accessed free in audio format πŸ€”
                  Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

I was going to say something about the book but not fair if some are still reading

Comment

Please don't let my late finish of the book stop people talking about it. 😘
                      Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by LindaB View Post
                        Deb well maybe one of your birthday books could be our August book club choice?πŸ“šπŸ€”πŸ˜ƒ

If it can be accessed free in audio format πŸ€”
                        Hi Debbie how do you feel about suggesting a book for our August read/listen?? πŸŽ§πŸ“š πŸ˜‡πŸ˜˜

Comment

Hi Linda, Thats fine! I've been reading some rubbishy crime books recently but our forum friends are far too discerning and intellectual for those !

Matthew suggested Bernard Cornwell.. he wrote the Sharpe books I think. I haven't read them but I've had a long term guilty crush on Sean Bean. ( Broken is thought provoking and it's on Netflix! )

I'm just about to start Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo so I'll let you know if it is a recommendation. πŸ“– 😊

Love Debbie x

Comment

Deb I love a crime book...I think anything goes as it makes us read outside our normal choices. The joy of a book club. It would be great if you suggest a book as then we can check if everyone can access ....go for itπŸ˜‡πŸ˜‰πŸ˜˜
                            When it comes to my choice it's likely to be low browπŸ˜‡

Comment

Deb I like crime books too Debbie, so go for it! xx

​

Comment

I can read anything. At the moment I'm into how to remove child locks on electric hob after milly, cat, jumped on it from the top of the fridge freezer. Also instructions on why the dryer isn't working on my washer dryer.

Thinking of writing my own book on how to peg feed when you don't have the relevant parts and the one important part you dropped and it rolled under the washing machine. Only way of finding it was to struggle off the kitchen floor and download a flashlight app and retrieve important part. Next day after explaining situation to a friend on Skype find thats its vanished into thin air.

Don't recommend any of the above and don't expect my effort to be a best seller

Comment

Working...
                                X