No announcement yet.

Reason to be cheerful πŸ’“πŸ’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh that's is so kind of your neighbours LindaB and to have taken the time to write a card is really something.

Find a nice spot for the orchid, soak its roots once a week and it will reward you with gorgeous flowers. 😘
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

Thanks Ellie I'm useless with houseplants...does it need sunπŸŒžπŸ€—
      Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

What lovely neighbours you have LindaB . I think most people are so kind and generous.

It is hard to have to accept but it sounds like they would be happy to help . Good luck with the orchid.πŸ˜˜πŸ€—xx

Comment

LindaB Orchids can be difficult but once they're happy somewhere, they're happy.

I've mine on a north west facing window sills: they don't like direct sun, draughts or being touched much (by curtains lying against them, for example). They can flower for months (!!) then you cut the stem back and they'll grow back to flower again and again. I will add that, of course, I do none of this, only supervise 🀩🀩

Good luck, or maybe one of your friends is green fingered. xx
          Last edited by Ellie; 8 October 2021, 18:19.

​

Comment

This is the orchid...yet to be unwrappedπŸ’–

Next to a Peace Lily someone else bought me πŸ˜‰
            Attached Files
            Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

It looks lovely and healthy Linda - is it near a window for light? xx

​

Comment

What lovely neighbours you’ve got Linda, lucky you xx
                ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellie View Post
                  It looks lovely and healthy Linda - is it near a window for light? xx
                  Not really...it's the other side of the room from the window...although it's a small but sunny room.
                  If I move it nearer the window it will also be near the radiator....so not sure. πŸ€”

Comment

LindaB My orchids are near radiators and they don't seem to mind. I think they prefer a bright place, you'll find out soon enough.

Enjoy your plants xx

​

Comment

That's a lovely photo. All those pretty little things and flowers. Xx
                      when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

Unwrapped the orchid....lots of roots hanging outside the pot...is that normal πŸ€”πŸ˜― Ellie any advice?😘

Comment

Sounds like it needs a big pot. You have a monster. πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx
                          Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong πŸ€—πŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ˜xx

Comment

Originally posted by LindaB View Post
                            Unwrapped the orchid....lots of roots hanging outside the pot...is that normal
                            Yes! You'll see there's no soil in the pot because orchids absorb moisture from the air - don't be tempted to cut the gnarly roots, let them do their own thing. They won't grow much, no fear of a Triffid-like invasion πŸ˜ƒ

It'll be OK in its plastic inner pot, if you want to change the outer pot, that's fine. Mine are put in a sink of water for 15mins, once a week, in their plastic inner pots. xx

​

Comment

Yes very triffid-like. I'll leave in the pot and just find something for it to stand in. Moved to a coffee table under the window...near a radiator. Big responsibility having a plantπŸ˜‚πŸ΅πŸŒ±πŸŒΈ
                              Thanks Ellie once a week it is πŸ‘πŸ˜˜

Comment

Next message we get from Linda is that she no longer needs a chair lift. Roots have taken over her apartment and she now has access to the lower floors. 🀭
                                when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

Working...
                                X