Reason to be cheerful πŸ’“πŸ’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smashing Heather. A lovely neighbour xx
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary C View Post
      started new medication ( lorazepam)2 days ago and it’s knocked me out( I slept 8 hours woke up and slept another 2 hours overnight.
      I woke to find I can’t transfer from bed to shower chair( coincidence/ maybe).
      It could be because of the Lorazepam still being in your system, Mary, it can cause weakness. You might find you can do more as the day wears on.

Wrap up well if venturing out! xx

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

​

Comment

"started new medication ( lorazepam)2 days ago and it’s knocked me out( I slept 8 hours woke up and slept another 2 hours overnight.
        I woke to find I can’t transfer from bed to shower chair( coincidence/ maybe)"

Mary C
        Forum Member
        Mary C I've just been prescribed lorazepam to reduce anxiety over breathlessness but it hasn't arrived yet. I wonder whether it will have the same effects on me? I could do with a good 8hour sleep but don't need any more transferring difficulties I hope you get sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaB View Post
          πŸ’–πŸ’–My granddaughter stayed over and is just making me poached eggs for breakfastπŸ’–πŸ’–
          My favourite breakfast ! πŸ₯š . Must taste gorgeous when made, with love, by your granddaughter x1πŸ˜˜πŸ€—

Comment

Hi
            Mary C
            Forum Member
            Mary C . So sorry you've had problems transferring. Any change is alarming.

I don't take Lorazepam so I can't comment on that but sometimes my sideways transfers feel really difficult and i think I'm going through a period of deterioration. The next day they can be okay again. I think it's related to how well I've slept and also if I don't get the transfer right first time it becomes increasingly difficult.

Hope you have a good day. Stay warm!
            Love Debbie x

Comment

Mary C
              Forum Member
              Mary C , Ann took Lorazepam every night at bedtime to help her relax and help getting to sleep. For us it was the go to medication. It was described to us as fast acting but not long lasting. Having said that we only took one small dose once at night. Mary why not try halving the dosage.

Comment

Mary C
                Forum Member
                Mary C hope things improve as the day goes on. I

Heather R
                Forum Member
                Heather R lovely thoughtful neighbour

granddaughter is 25....she also got my Christmas tree from the loft and put the lights on. πŸ€ΆπŸŽ…

Deb
                Forum Member
                Deb yes everything tastes better made with loveπŸ’–πŸ’–
                Initial diagnosis 7-4-2021 'suspected MND' confirmed by 2nd opinion 4th June 2021 ALS. Began with R foot limp and lots of falls. NIV overnight. Generally weak. Mostly terrified.​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Bowler View Post
                  It was described to us as fast acting but not long lasting.
                  Lorazepam is fast acting compared to Diazepam, for example, but its half life in the body is still 12 hours, much shorter than Diazepam, but still significant, particularly in the early days of taking it when the body has no tolerance to it.

Add in a glass of wine or beer and the effects are somewhat amplified - Mary, I'm *not* saying that's what you did, it's just a general comment. xx

​

Comment

Ellie
                    Forum Member
                    Ellie good clarity πŸ‘

Comment

Add in a glass of wine or beer and the effects are somewhat amplified .

Thanks
                      Ellie
                      Forum Member
                      Ellie for the warning ! I will keep that in mind if I am prescribed Lorazepam. ( could be a tricky decision! 🍷 πŸ₯‚ 🍺) xxπŸ˜˜πŸ€—πŸ€—

Comment

I also take amitryptyline at bed time and oral morphine.I have no trouble getting to sleep but I do wake several times with a dry mouth for sips of water.

I didn’t feel I wanted lorazepam so didn’t take it for a week.Nurse rang to check how I-was coping with it so had to come clean.

Think I will give it a miss for now…no rush whilst I am sleeping ok.

Oh and yes I enjoy a small glass of wine at about 9 pm…not every night and never more than one.No intention of giving that up yet.
                        Best wishes
                        Mary

Comment

As long as we know of any potential drug interactions and side effects of the meds we take, we're all grown up enough to weigh up the pros and cons and decide - quality of life is perhaps the most important determinant.

For example, occasionally I take medicine which I know will suppress my breathing function, but I need to sleep!!! A pure short-term quality of life decision made πŸ‘πŸ‘

​

Comment

I take oral morph and amitryptyline at night so can imagine that’s quite the cocktail and no doubt has side effects.Didnt feel any benefit from lorazepam other than longer sleep and negative reaction of even worse dry mouth and less able to transfer.

I get off to sleep easily often listening to Catholic meditation recordings.I like to wake alert and ready to read daily meditation, watch the news and plan the day,

Wishing forum members a good night sleep.

Mary

Comment

I liked glass of red wine Mary - can still drink if I water it down!

Comment

When I had a low dose Amitryptyline, I think 10mg for pain that kept me awake many years ago. It did help by me get to sleep but I felt really heavy headed up to 2 or 3pm next day so stopped it after about a week xx
                                ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Working...
                                X