Toilet problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toilet problems

Our bathroom isn't going to be suitable. It's small and will be a problem getting a wheelchair into the space but for now it's OK. Stephen can still walk, he is determined that everything is to be as normal as possible. But toilet wise, he cannot reach certain parts and he won't let me help. Consequently bedding and clothing is not very pleasant and he is going to become very sore. Our son has said we can do whatever is needed to help with his dad in the flat. So I asked, as Stephen has such difficulty using his hands, could we have a bio bidet or similar. Our loo is of modern design so the fittings won't fit over the top. So why not put in a new loo? Not exactly expensive. So we've been offered a dignity commode. Now I can imagine how he is going to feel about that. Dignity?! How can that be dignified? It's like using a potty and knowing I will have to empty it will really upset him. Its going to be an issue emptying and washing it. I wanted help for him and me not more work. I don't even see how he will lift himself off it and in the long run I'm not going to get a commode chair over it. I don't see where a hoist would go and no idea where I'd put it. Looks like our chances of getting a wet room will be not even up for negotiation.

😤😫😡

Hi Denise, the basic problem seems to be space in your bathroom.
    Is there a spare bedroom that could be made into a bathroom/ wetroom.

As mentioned before a high percentage of people with MND need to use a wheelchair as the disease progresses.You could look at clos o mat toilet that do washing and drying after using the toilet.
    The bio bidet is great but offers problems if a person needs wheeling over the toilet as nhs shower chairs don’t fit , and the bio bidet doesn’t work if shower chair isn’t the right height.bio bidets don’t fit on every style of toilet.

The problem will be if/ when Stephen needs wheeling in a shower chair on to toilet or he can no longer transfer.Thankfully this hasn’t happened yet.

Is it worth planning ahead to look at more suitable housing?I know you have a lovely view but is it best to do your research before you hit a crisis point?
    You are right though in thinking Stephen will get sore if he has no way of cleaning himself after using the toilet.

Hope somebody else on the forum has some ideas.
    Best wishes
    Mary

Comment

We could extend into a smaller bedroom next to the bathroom. I've looked at the housing on offer. Very limited wheelchair access. 2 last week. One had only one bedroom. The other was in Exeter and I don't particularly want to move there.

Comment

Hi Denise. We have changed our bathroom into a wet room. It’s about 6.5 feet square. We have a closomat toilet - absolutely worth every penny but it is weight activated so I’m not sure a wheel over chair would work. It definitely helps with cleanliness and dignity. We have room for my wheelchair to go in and a shower chair next to it. (I have to reverse out because it is a bit tight.) We have a ceiling hoist - best thing we ever got - i can swing from wheelchair to toilet and then right over them both to land on shower chair. All a bit snug but whilst I have use of my arms I can do it myself. If you are interested in photos or more details let me know. Xx

Comment

sarah thanks so much. im trying to picture in my head how it could work. the spare room is probable 10ft by 6ft so plenty of room just thinking how to plan it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarahw View Post
            Hi Denise. We have changed our bathroom into a wet room. It’s about 6.5 feet square. We have a closomat toilet - absolutely worth every penny but it is weight activated so I’m not sure a wheel over chair would work. It definitely helps with cleanliness and dignity. We have room for my wheelchair to go in and a shower chair next to it. (I have to reverse out because it is a bit tight.) We have a ceiling hoist - best thing we ever got - i can swing from wheelchair to toilet and then right over them both to land on shower chair. All a bit snug but whilst I have use of my arms I can do it myself. If you are interested in photos or more details let me know. Xx
            Closomat can change the weight activation to other methods. I’m having one that has both a remote and a device sited near to the loo that I just have to wave my hand above which will work with very little movement or Steve can use the remote for me by standing in the doorway with it. Lynne x
            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Thanks Lynne. Did you have to pay for the work or was it installed for you?

Comment

My council OT is arranging it and other adaptions. All of the jobs haven’t been approved yet. The OT, the Closomat person and a contracting architect came out in July. The OT said that the estimates have to be presented to the next ‘panel’ and the July one had already taken place, none was taking place in August so it’ll be presented to the September’panel' and then they’ll get back in touch with me. Council wheels turn slowly . Lynne x
                ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my balance.

I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

denise I think different local authorities have different policies about grants for the work. I am lucky enough to have mine paid for, but it has taken a long time for the council adaptations team to agree the work and to agree payment for it. My current bathroom is apparently too small to be a wet room, so they are converting the utility room for this. I really sympathise with all the difficulties you are having with it, and I too found already adapted accommodation really scarce. Would you be happy with knocking through to small bedroom? xx
                  Diagnosed July 2020, ALS bulbar onset.

Comment

hi heather its a stud wall so shouldnt be too much of a probem and the loo backs onto it anyway. i think i will end up paying for it. i shall have to take up plumbing in my spare time xxx

Comment

So it's thumbs up for closomatic then? There's others on the internet anyone tried them?

Comment

My bio is fantastic, it gives me enemas! 😄🤗😘😍xx
                        Bulbar started Jan 2020. Mute and 100% tube fed but mobile and undefeated. Stay Strong 🤗😘🤗😁xx

Comment

the problem seems to be i have a square loo so its getting the seat to fit. anyone else got a square loo?

Comment

That's what you get for having a posh loo 😍😍

Might be easier to just replace it with a bog standard loo - would a shower chair fit over a square/rectangle loo? xx
                            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Denise , I have the bio bidet which is great.However still trying to get a shower chair that fits over it for anticipated future needs.
                              I have a rep coming today as a company customised a shower chair for me but it’s still wrong!!
                              I also changed the toilet as was “wrong shape”...In hindsight I wished I had a clos o mat but the price was about £3.500 rather than £700 for bio bidet .
                              Hope Stephen is ok.
                              Best wishes
                              Mary

Comment

Working...
                              X