I made a song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made a song

Making music with MND is a lot more challenging than it used to be, but it’s been vital having something to focus on and work towards in this situation.

I managed to record a guitar part while I could still play and luckily my voice is still unaffected so I was able to record myself singing. The rest is software instruments and samples with notes mostly drawn in using the mouse. Very time consuming but worth it in the end I think.

Here’s the Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/track/5w3MJ...RSCzsevZ-6aadg

I’m on other streaming services too. Just search for Alex Herd.

Excellent, the sort of stuff that sits comfortably within my eclectic tastes.
    Good on you for pushing forwards.

I was playing the harp to an acceptable mediocre level, but kept wondering why my arms ached when playing or the odd inexplicable lever clumsiness.
    Only had a small practice type harp (33 strings) - but gave it to a very respected strings musician / composer friend (who used to tune it and has some vulnerabilities in life), as a 'prop' to explain my diagnosis and that it "needed looking after"

Doing some creative things I used to do now 'less effectively' is a mental / emotional struggle between pushing things and adapting, versus reinforcing the obvious decline...
    (Pic is early 2020)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Arcadian; 20 December 2022, 18:53. Reason: spelling
    2020: odd symptoms. Nov 2021: Hand atrophy.. Mar 2022: Second arm atrophy - Confirmed Apr 2022: MND.
    Also Crohn's Disease from 2005ish. (Hi, I'm Dan in Cheshire)...

Comment

Well done you.
      when i can think of something profound i will update this.

Comment

Wow Arcadian your picture manages to make a harp look Glam Rock!
        I was learning guitar with the Fender online course before the lurgy struck and knackered my left fretting hand
        alexph I always fancied a bit of electronic composing, but despite having some history as a singer my voice is too far gone now.
        My son does some composing as soundtracks to his videos. I will get him to show me the ropes.
        Hi, I'm Eddie.
        Started with wobbly left ankle in Nov 2020. Diagnosed 22 Oct 2021, confirmed by 2nd opinion 4 days later.
        Full time powerchair user. Overnight NIV. PEG'ed but still eating. Voice banked but still talking.
        Still wondering what the future will bring.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to listen. Loving the red leggings Arcadian

Comment

alexph I really like it, Alex, thanks for sharing - and it's all the more impressive considering your challenges.

Did you make the video too? xx

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Thanks! I haven’t made a video but maybe I will later. I would need a lot more help for that but can still make music mostly on my own. I’m working on another track at the moment

Comment

Originally posted by alexph View Post
                I’m working on another track at the moment
                If you need any backing singers, you know where not to look 😉😁
                ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
                X