Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barry52 View Post
    M
    We resumed our journey on Saturday with only 80 miles to go but it may have been 200 as we sat in huge traffic queues past Stonehenge. We were going to see our niece’s baby son who is only 6 days old and since members of both family’s were present it was good to catch up. My voice wasn’t working well so my wife ended up translating. What I did find interesting in discussion with my brother in law is that his son is a professor in the field of science and he is currently working with a company on gene editing for neurological conditions. Maybe one day he will eradicate MND.

Back home now after 4 hours in the car but the return journey was easy. I hope you don’t mind me speaking of my enjoyable weekend Dina when you are stuck in hospital but I hope that the story will cheer you up.

I trust you will be home soon and I wish you well.

Barry x
    Hi Barry,

Of course I don't mind you talking about your lovely weekend. I am always envious of those sitting in miles and miles of traffic jams, Ha ha ha. Presumably you were on the A303 and the notorious section near Stonehenge. Where were you headed?
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Comment

Hi Dina,

So sorry you're understandably bored and fed up. Although the sunny weather is beautiful it makes it hard if you cant go out. You must be stir crazy.

I have been confined to barracks with my leg since June. It's been easier for me, however because I have been mainly at home.

I started off being entertained by Wimbledon ( seems like ages ago ) online quizzes, box sets and books and recently I have had to resort to cricket. I have got really into it so I must have been bored ! I have also tried to learn Spanish by doing an hour a day on duolingo but I strongly suspect I am still rubbish. Last time we were in Spain we had some decorators. I thought I had offered them a drink but apparently I had invited them for dinner. They looked slightly alarmed and I couldn't work out why.

I cant complain because I am able to go out in our WAV for a little while now and drive my powerchair into the garden. I really hope you are comfortable and cool Dina and that you have your PEG fitted soon so you can get home, with the carers you need.

Love Debbie x

Comment

Originally posted by Kayleigh View Post
        Hi Dina and Sheila,

I can empathise about how difficult and time consuming it is to get washed and dressed with weaker hands. I tend to use a toothpaste pump rather than having to squeeze a toothpaste tube but even that is taking more effort these days. I saw an automatic toothpaste dispenser on the Internet which might be easier to use - but I suppose it depends on how much strength is needed to push the toothbrush against the lever in the dispenser?

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=enkNtS2RlSQ

Did you see 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?' on TV last night? - I'm looking forward to seeing If the junior doctor continues to do well in the next episode tonight (he's currently on £64k with 3 lifelines left).

Love Kayleigh x
        Hi Kayleigh and Sheila,

Actually, I'm not able to brush my teeth or wash my face any longer. And I haven't been able to wash myself for a few months. I'm like the Queen: someone has to do those things for me. Hee hee hee.
        Dina

Comment

Hi Debbie,

Thank you. Luckily I haven't had to resort to cricket *phew

I don't know about anyone else but, since developing MND, I hardly notice when the weather is hot. Before MND I couldn't cope with temperatures above 22°. It feels so peculiar being able to tolerate heat.
          Dina

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post

I have also tried to learn Spanish by doing an hour a day on duolingo but I strongly suspect I am still rubbish. Last time we were in Spain we had some decorators. I thought I had offered them a drink but apparently I had invited them for dinner. They looked slightly alarmed and I couldn't work out why.
            Oh Debbie, that's hilarious, I can just picture the scene

Love Ellie.
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I can relate to your boredom in hospital Dina. Steve has been in for nearly two weeks now. He is so bored. There are four beds in his bay and the men come and go and he is still there.. He cannot move at all and he cannot turn his head so only looks forward and to the left.. there are some strange men they don’t speak some are to ill to at first. Things seem to be worse at night. One young man kicked off because doors were banging, then last night a man opposite, who they wanted to stay in bed was walking up and down the ward swearing.. if I wasn’t there in the day I think he would go mad. Hopefully both of you will be home soon. I know I can’t wait! Most of the staff are really nice and Steve can talk to them when they aren’t busy.

I can also relate to your wind problem Terry. Steve gets terrible wind, don’t know how many times he had a bed man yesterday!!!,

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sueb View Post
                Steve gets terrible wind, don’t know how many times he had a bed man yesterday!!!,

Sue
                Thank you, Sue, particularly for the amusing images that popped into my head when I read your final sentence.
                Dina

Comment

Originally posted by Gillette View Post
                  Hi Barry,

Of course I don't mind you talking about your lovely weekend. I am always envious of those sitting in miles and miles of traffic jams, Ha ha ha. Presumably you were on the A303 and the notorious section near Stonehenge. Where were you headed?
                  Yes Dina it was the A303 and we were heading to Yeovil. We took a taxi from the hotel into town for dinner but they sent a people carrier so you can imagine me trying to get in. My wife and the driver both pushing my bum. No dignity with MND.

Barry x
                  I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Barry, you were down my neck of the woods. Somerset. What happened to Newcastle yesterday, they won. Quite a shock result. But well done.
                    Sheila x

Comment

Hi Barry;

At least you done it and safely. Maybe be I need a people carrier and people pushing my bum, it could release so much wind I'll be off to the moon, or blow my trousers off and i do a moony,

Sue; sorry to hear of Steve's problems, it makes mine so trivial in comprising. Being jailed in in the evenings like that, with crazy people must be hell. Hope his feeling a lot better and can find somewhere more peaceful like a hospice or home. I guess there's some humor in him telling you the nights events.

I'm off to tesco's soon and costa's for lunch, so I'm lucky really. LOL

Love Terry
                      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Terry,

Enjoy your retail therapy in Tesco's TC (My hubby always loves going shopping with me - especially grocery shopping supermarkets! LOL).

Lunch afterwards sounds good - and if you are you going to be entertaining the cafe girls with your music again ....'Wind beneath my wings' by Bette Midler or 'Blowin' in the Wind' by Bob Dylan might be a good choice? LOL

I hope you have an enJoyable afternoon.

Love Kayleigh x

P.S Perhaps add a pack of 'Wind-Eze' tablets to your shopping list??
                        Last edited by Kayleigh; 26 August 2019, 19:48.

Comment

Doug, I think you need to delete some of your messages.
                          Dina

Comment

Hi Barry,

I used to work in Yeovil when I was living in Somerset. I miss being in Somerset. It's very different to Greater Manchester!
                            Dina

Comment

Many thanks Dina.

Done

Doug

Comment

Hi Kayleigh,

My wife did buy some windex tablets, they did not work on her.

I was thinking Rocket Man and not, Candle in the Wind.

I hardly ever went shopping with my wife before I had Mnd but now it's the highlight of my week.

I don't know the girls in this Costa so well,, so I am all nice in their eyes.

Love Terry
                                TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Working...
                                X