• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Emma.creighton
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2020

MND & Heart Disease

Hi all, new to this so not really sure what to expect. My mum (diagnosed with MND 2019- symptoms for 18months before) is being treated in hospital for ischemic heart disease they believe she suffered a heart attack - she is immobile and has been for a year now her speech is almost gone and she is peg fed. We have been told she will need palliative care now. Has anyone else had any experience with MND and heart attacks or heart disease? Is this something she will be able to live with for a while?
  • Ellie
    Forum Member
    • Oct 2012

Hi Emma.

I'm sure that MND Connect will soon reply to you, but I just wanted to welcome you to the Forum, although I am sorry it's in such sad circumstances.

When you say your mum is in hospital "being treated" for her heart condition, does that mean she has had stent(s) fitted?

Take care.

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

• MNDConnect
      Forum Moderator
      • Mar 2016

Hi Emma

I am sorry to hear that you mum has been unwell and is in hospital. People with MND can live with heart disease. As with anyone else with heart disease, if your mum can be treated for this and her heart condition managed then it's not likely to affect the MND.

With MND, no one can really say how long someone might live for. Sometimes consultants will give an estimated life expectancy but it is only an estimate and for some people the disease progresses faster and for some people it progresses more slowly.

Have your mum's cardiac doctors given you any information about the heart disease and your mum's prognosis with regards to this?

Best Wishes

Rachel
      MND Connect Adviser
      MND Connect
      Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• Emma.creighton
        Forum Member
        • Jun 2020

Thank you for the reply. My mum has had another two heart attacks since writing in before. She has ischemic heart disease. She has been brought home to be with her family now as they won’t operate due to the severe damage done to her heart and being high risk in the late stage of MND she has.
        Once again thank you for your replies

Comment

• Ellie
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2012

I'm sorry to read that Emma, it must be very difficult for you all.

Hopefully your Mum has good community nursing care, including hospice at home if available, to support her needs.

Take care.

Love Ellie.
          ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
          Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

Working...
          X