• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guy2001
    Forum Member
    • Jun 2020

Home Adaptations

Is there a good resource I can access that gives guidance on the dimensions and equipment needed for showering and sanitary adaptations we will need to make in our house before too long? My wife is losing strength in her hands/arms and only just managing now to get around the house with a rollator and our stair lift. I anticipate having to accommodate her on the ground floor of our Edwardian terraced house, and we will need to install some kind of pod or wet room facility in our rear sitting room (near the drains and services) where she will be able to use a shower and toilet, probably eventually needing a hoist for transfers. It's a learning curve to try and get my head around the requirements for such a facility, and I'm worried we won't have this in place by the time it's needed.
    Guy
  • MNDConnect
    Forum Moderator
    • Mar 2016

Hello Guy

We aren't aware of a good resource that gives guidance on dimensions for adaptations. We always advise that people seek this guidance from their Occupational Therapist (OT). Adaptations and equipment are individual to each person's needs and so it's important that the OT carries out an assessment to identify your wife's individual needs. The OT would then be able to advise on adaptations and provide the most appropriate equipment for your wife.

If your wife does not have an OT, you can contact the local Adult Social Services Team at your local council to ask for an Occupational Therapy assessment.

Best Wishes

Rachel
    MND Connect Adviser
    MND Connect
    Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

• Guy2001
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2020

Hi Rachel,
      Thanks. My wife does have an OT who we are consulting. But it's a pity there isn't more info about this somewhere . . .
      Guy

Comment

• Guy
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2017

Hi Guy
        We went through this process a year ago to create a wet room, allow me to move downstairs and make it all wheelchair accessible. Our Local Authority had a buildings advisor who could assist on disabled adaptations and grants (including suitable contractors) and our OT was v helpful and provided useful review. A good experienced contractor really helps.
        General guidance is given in buildings regs part M https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ndments_V3.pdf It's a very dry read and we looked at it for guidance only!
        you need to apply a lot of common sense to this as you are adapting your home for your own specific needs so you can be flexible. You'll know best what will work for you.
        It took a while and had its challenges but we're v pleased with the outcome.
        Best
        Robin
        Best

Robin

Diagnosed 05/2017 Familial ALS Limb onset

Comment

• Guy2001
          Forum Member
          • Jun 2020

Hi Robin,
          Thanks that's helpful to know. We're trying to get the facility done with the smallest footprint possible while still allowing for assistance from a carer for washing and toilet use. It's not easy to work out the requirements within the confines of the rear sitting room in an Ewardian terraced house. We need to install come kind of "pod" within the room, I think. I'll see if our local authority has a buildings advisor that can be as helpful as yours was. It seems to vary from council to council.
          Guy

Comment

• nunhead_man
            Forum Member
            • Jul 2017

Hi there

I have a guidance note from my OT from my previous address which in turn came from a housing association she knows - if you send me a private message with an email address I can send it to you as an attachment - it's quite a detailed PDF with examples of sample rooms with sizes suitable for wheelchair.

My two pennies worth is that there is the Rolls-Royce specification and the one that you can manage to get and afford where the former includes corridors 2 m wide and all doors at 900
            Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• nunhead_man
              Forum Member
              • Jul 2017

Hi there

I have a guidance note from my OT from my previous address which in turn came from a housing association she knows - if you send me a private message with an email address I can send it to you as an attachment - it's quite a detailed PDF with examples of sample rooms with sizes suitable for wheelchair.

My two pennies worth is that there is the Rolls-Royce specification and the one that you can manage to get and afford where the former includes corridors 2 m wide and all doors at 900
              Warmly

Andy

​Diagnosed 03/2015. One sided limb onset (arm) sporadic PMA/MND - now 90% left arm and 90% right arm, plus other bits including both shoulders and also some breathing issues – Campaign contact Winchester and Southampton branch, and trustee of the Association

"Things turn out the best for people who make the best of the way things turn out"

Comment

• Guy2001
                Forum Member
                • Jun 2020

Hi Andy,
                I'm a newbie on the forum and having a little trouble working out how to send a private message, not sure if it's enable on my account. Can you send one to me and I'll reply with my email address?
                Guy

Comment

• Guy
                  Forum Member
                  • Jul 2017

Hi Guy

Andy is absolutely right - you need to apply a lot of common sense to any guidance or it can cost more than it needs to. I went out and tried door widths and turning circles to make sure they would work for my wheelchair etc to be sure! I also drew everything out at a reasonable scale and made sure it worked at the very start.
                  Worth checking what technology is available that may help you.
                  Doddy Wier had an interesting approach - he had a wet room pod installed outside and knocked access through to it. He aims to donate the pod when he no longer needs it. Nice idea - but he does live on a farm.
                  All the best
                  Robin
                  Best

Robin

Diagnosed 05/2017 Familial ALS Limb onset

Comment

• Ellie
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2012

@Guy2001 - you can send and receive PMs once you have 5 posts under your belt, providing you have enabled PMs in your settings.

Love Ellie.
                    ​Diagnosed 2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                    Significant bulbar impairment - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV - Eye gaze user

Comment

Working...
                    X