Work rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work rights

Hi I'm newly diagnosed I have been at home shielding my work do not know I have MND just know I have speech and respiratory issues..my contract ends August and I know I cant go back I have limb issues know soeech is worse and i teach kids wth special needs in secondary...i been called to a google meet onlinev tomorrow wth head and my boss ..they may say due to funding issues there letting some of us go and that's fine I just want to be paid till contract ends August. If they know I have MND they may put me on sick pay which is much less ...currently I'm working from home ...advice please on whether I should tell them and risk no pay or be put on ssp can they let me go before contract end?

Hi Elvisfan,

If you report in ill then they are obliged to pay you until your contract ends. You will need to provide evidence of your condition.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Hi Elvisfan, whilst you’re considering what to do about your job it’d be a good idea to see what benefits that you’d be entitled to and if work could pension you off because of a serious illness. You didn’t say if you were self employed. That would be different but you’d qualify for the same or similar benefits.

I had to give up being a Driving Instructor January 2018. I went on PIP at the higher rate (with the help of people at my MND Clinic) and ESA into the Support Group. As driving instructors don’t make much after expenses (such as hiring a car, fuel and teaching aids) I’m hardly much worse off and I worked my socks off for what I got.

Keep in touch and let us know how you’re getting on. Love Lynne
      ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
      I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Definitely get GP to sign you sick and while you’re signed off work they can’t end your contract, stay off sick as long as you can then find out your pension options, fight for your corner

Comment

Hi had work meeting as theres no more funding for us all and no new SEN kids in september they gave notice to let 5 of us go they dont know about my MND I was in a contractlike my colleagues a one year fixed term contract I knew I was not able to return as arms week now and speech terrible but this has done me a favour ...two people can apply internally so it gives my colleagues who looked upset a chance of getting jobs back ..they'll pay me to end August as been there 2 years get 2 weeks severance pay I can get PIP and possible ESA

Thanks for yr replies

Comment

Hi Elivisfan,
            I was so sorry to hear of your situation regarding work and I wondered if it might be helpful for you to seek advice from my colleagues in our MND Benefits Advice Service. The team have a wealth of knowledge in relation to benefits and as such they could help you apply for PIP and ESA.
            Please do get in touch with them either via email at [email protected] or via Live Web Chat, which can be accessed through the following link - https://www.mndassociation.org/suppo...nefits-advice/
            Alternatively, you can call them free on 0808 801 0620.
            Please don't hesitate to get in touch with us here at MND Connect for more general support. We are there for you. You can contact us via email at [email protected] or by calling our freephone helpline on 0808 8026262, Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm and 7pm to 10.30pm.
            Kind regards
            Ruth

Comment

Thank you mnd connect

Comment

Working...
              X