Does MND affect my reaction time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does MND affect my reaction time

Hi, I was diagnosed with bulbar onset MND in 2017. It nows affects my speech badly and I also have swallowing difficulties, but I've had no symptons below the neck.
    I play a lot of sport, including tennis. Recently I've noticed on the tennis court that my reactions are very slow, as if I'm legs are rooted to the spot, I just can't seem react to any shot quick enough as the ball comes towards me! I have no other ostensible problems with my limbs. Could it be that the MND is causing my abililty to react & move quickly...or am I just getting old!
    Many thanks,
    Paul

Yes, it is a progressive disease. A gene test will provide an in depth analysis of the underlying pathology. You may notice clonus after a hard game.
    Copyright Graham

Comment

Thanks Graham, do I ask my consultant for a gene test? Or are there other ways of getting a gene test done quicker?

Comment

I would start by asking consultant, then enrol on a gene test trial, or private. This tech is evolving rapidly.
        Copyright Graham

Comment

Thanks Graham, great advice, I will

Comment

Hi Paul

MND can cause reactions to become slower as the nerves struggle to send through their messages to the muscles. This can cause voluntary movements to slow down.

Slow reactions can also be caused by age and tiredness so it's important to make sure that you are getting plenty of rest to let your body recover from your exercise.

Best Wishes

Rachel
            MND Connect Adviser

Comment

Working...
            X