Thanks Terry
    Xx

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Hi Wendy, this might help;

Originally posted by MNDConnect View Post
    Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having difficulties finding a suitable neck support for your husband.

Generally speaking head supports only allow for very limited downward movement of the head. I wondered if your husband's OT had looked at collars with a cut away area in the neck part, as this may make swallowing easier for him? These type of collars include the Headmaster and the MND Oxford Collar.

Some people with weak neck muscles often use more than one collar, as unfortunately one collar may not meet all their needs. In addition some people choose not to wear a collar all the time. Say for example meal times. If this is the case, guidance regarding seating, positioning and modifications to diet should be considered. This would require input from a Speech and Language Therapist, dietician and an OT.

I have included a link below which features a number of head support options you may wish to discuss with your husbands OT.

https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...ne-disease.pdf

I do hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards
    Ruth
    MND Connect

Leave a comment:

• philipb
    replied
    I have been using the Sheffield snood for about a year and I am convinced that it is the best solution available for neck weakness whilst allowing movement for eating, drinking etc. I am not sure of the current availability of the snood, but would recommended contacting the mnd clinic at the Hallamshire or Devices for Dignity which is also based there. Philip

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Hi;

The smaller car don't normally offer a smooth ride if you are in a heavy power wheelchair over the rear wheels. You are also up higher making the cornering forces more severe. I did know a lady that had her head strapped to the wheelchair head rest when in the car. Wheelchair services might provide you with a better head rest.

If you are having trouble locating that then ask Mnda connect to see if they can help you.

I use a "Safesip" cover that holds the straw in place, it does provide some extra grip and stops many spills. You can buy metal straws.

Love Terry

Leave a comment:

• Sueb
    replied
    Hi
    My husband has just been referred to Sheffield for the snood. He has tried different collars. We saw Philip at the AGM and the snood looked as though it would be just right for him. You need a referral from your consultant. They only have small and medium left. Steve is going up next week for a assessment.

Steve uses straws to drink, we have just purchased some clips off eBay that keep the straw in place. They work really well, come in a pack of 5.

Sue x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Re car travel: I wear a rigid cervical collar when travelling in any vehicle. Is his headrest giving any side support? It's possible to strap the head to the headrest but I don't have first hand experience of this.

Given that he goes to a hospice, can their OT help?

Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    If Sheffield don't have the Snood, these hospitals also had them:

• Oxford Radcliffe
    • Walton Centre, Liverpool
    • King’s College, London
    • Cambridge
    • Preston
    • Salford Royal Hospital
    • Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Glasgow
    • NHS Lothian, Edinburgh
    • Beaumont Hospital, Dublin

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks emailed Sheffield last night, so fingers crossed they may still have one. Have also asked Hubbys Neuro OT for a sample of Oxford Brace, with the prongs down chest. She been able to issue them in past.

On same subject what do any of you do about travel in car in power chair? Hubby finds it very uncomfortable as bouncing about a lot especially head. Really only gets in car to go to hospice once week. Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• Barry52
    replied
    Hi Edward,

If you contact Sheffield Hallamshire hospital they are still issuing snoods.

Barry

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks for info, just googgled all your suggestions. Hes got Headmaster and uses that when in Stand Aid Hoist. Has cheap foam one for travel in powered wheelchair in car. Looked at Sheffield Snood. Don't think its in manufacture. Looking on internet has thrown up lots of threads of small organisations looking into problem, but actually tracking one down to buy or see if OT can buy looks problematic.

Hes been using straws for long time, and Thicken Up. Its the tired when eating issue. Has RIG so spose will eventually move to enteral 'eating' all time, but he likes eating and tasting food.

Will go off and do some research. Thanks million

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    straw .. I using to.
    Found that are important to have straw made from harder plastic.
    Same straw can
    collapse during sip.
    my favourite are green from Starbuc

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Hi, me again

Just thinking; how does Edward drink liquids?
    This is what works for me: I drink through a straw, not too long so it doesn't take too much effort to get the liquid. The mug is raised up on books so I don't have to bend over too much. I can't have people holding the mug for me as I can't get the correct, sustained drinking angle, it's easier if the mug is on a flat, secure surface.

Of course he probably knows all this...

Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    I've had lots of collars through my progression. The soft foam ones are really only suitable for the beginning as they cannot support the weight of the head.

The only collar I have been able to eat & drink successfully with is the Sheffield Snood. It lets me tuck in my chin; neither the Headmaster or hard cervical collar did. Your hubby might be different.

Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Hi Edward;

Some people do find that a soft foam collar works OKish. It's good advice from Ruth and a good guide from the Mnda.

Love Terry

Leave a comment:

• MNDConnect
    replied
    Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having difficulties finding a suitable neck support for your husband.

Generally speaking head supports only allow for very limited downward movement of the head. I wondered if your husband's OT had looked at collars with a cut away area in the neck part, as this may make swallowing easier for him? These type of collars include the Headmaster and the MND Oxford Collar.

Some people with weak neck muscles often use more than one collar, as unfortunately one collar may not meet all their needs. In addition some people choose not to wear a collar all the time. Say for example meal times. If this is the case, guidance regarding seating, positioning and modifications to diet should be considered. This would require input from a Speech and Language Therapist, dietician and an OT.

I have included a link below which features a number of head support options you may wish to discuss with your husbands OT.

https://www.mndassociation.org/wp-co...ne-disease.pdf

I do hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards
    Ruth
    MND Connect

Leave a comment:

Working...
X