Legs feel like tree trunks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legs feel like tree trunks

In the past couple of weeks my legs have felt so heavy. I still have bad cramps and pain in the knees and hips but the legs themselves don't even feel a part of me anymore and sometimes my feet feel like big swollen sponges . Is this a normal feeling?

Harry K

Hi

I get a lot of swelling in my worst affected leg and foot. Elevation and gentle massage help, but it does make the leg feel very hot tight and uncomfortable after only a little while sitting in my power chair now. My district nurse is looking into getting me one of those blow up compression booties to help with it

Wendy

Comment

Dear Harry,
      I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing cramp and swelling in your legs. Fluid build up in the feet and ankles can be a problem for people that are inactive due to mobility problems. It is really important that you speak to your GP about this as they may be able to give you medication to help with the problem. In addition to medication the GP may recommend that you elevate your legs to help alleviate the swelling. But please do seek support from your GP to ensure that you get specific advice and support.
      Please do feel free to contact us again for further help or support. We can be contacted on the MND Connect helpline - 0808 8026262 or alternatively via email - [email protected]
      Ruth
      MND Connect
      MND Connect
      Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

Hi Harry,

I apologise for butting in - I know this is Ask MND Connect - but...

Also massage can be beneficial for swollen legs, as is range of movement exercises for joints. I appreciate it may cause you pain but it can be a vicious circle of not moving due to pain, leading to more issues with swelling

There are videos online showing massage techniques for swollen legs & ankles.

Ellie x.
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Harry;

I'm afraid that this can happen to some of us. Things have happened quite slow with me so I sort of accept things.

Keep things moving as much as you can and do what others have advised.

Love Terry
          TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Wendy;

I would be interested in what blow up booties you get and how you get on with them.

I have looked several times into some that help reduce swelling by inflating and deflating compartments but they do seam to cover very large areas and I think that to have more smaller area compartments would be better.

Love Terry
            TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Terry,
              I will let you know once the district nurse has got back to me with them, I am really hoping they work.

Wendy

Comment

The swelling really hasn't moved from my feet into my legs, it is just that there is numbness in my legs and often it feels like I am wearing prosthetics. I started tripping more lately - along with the dragging foot- and decided it is time to use cane daily. Too many stories on here about bad falls.

Harry

Comment

Have you seen your doctor yet Harry? Don't attribute every ailment to your PLS!

It may be unrelated; get the numbness checked out.

There are braces & splints for foot drop - "AFOs" - ask about them (I don't know your set-up. If you attend a Clinic, ask them.)

Ellie x.
                  ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                  Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Got a splint for my foot drop yesterday so hoping that will help. My legs also feel so heavy. It feels like Im wearing wellie boots filled with sand. My calves ache constantly. My lovely husband massages my calves every night and I do stretching exercises everyday. Does the ache ever go away? Tips anyone? X

Comment

Hi. I gave worn splints on both legs for 2 years now, I couldn't manage without them. I started with elastic ones with lots of velcro straps but now wear ones with plastic that go under my foot and halfway up my calf then fasten with about 4 straps. Persevere with them as they get easier to wear and help so much. I wear them from getting up until about an hour before I go to bed. I wear the same size shoes but wider if possible. The shoe thing is a nightmare but I tend to wear light shoes from sketchers, hotter or rieker. I also have Aching, heavy legs which are usually freezing but can also be hot. (weird)! I try to use my excersise bike as much as possible and also use my walker to keep moving as much as I can. The more I am up and about the better the legs are even though it's hard.

Comment

Hi cathy. Mine sound similar but just have an adjustable strap around the calf. I will persevere. Took me ages getting it on this morning. My son had to help me as some swearing started to kick in! Think I need to get some more shoes. Any excuse for some retail therapy. Lol x

Comment

Working...
                        X