Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christoff
    replied
    Hurrah - planning application has been submitted so we just now await the process to begin

Leave a comment:

• kevin
    replied
    Morning Christoff
    I converted garage to form a wet room and store . Very similar job to yours £17000 was total cost of project including ramp driveway to front and decking at rear to give level access . Garage roof was shot so I put a pitch roof on with velum lights . Almost forgot I had to increase width of two doors and move gas meter .IMG_0611.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Christoff
    replied
    Well basically i am designing myself, funding myself, getting the builders, getting all the equipment. I think MND when applied to government means Must Not Donate!!!

Thanks Fru for your input, very helpful

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    No I think it probably happened to us !in the months before we were offered a bungalow application we decided on having a bedroom built !but here's the catch !we were given the option of three builders but had to take The cheapest bid !wonder how many times that builder built rooms for the council.
    So even if you don't pay for your bedroom to be built you still have no choice.
    And they were shoddy workmen

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ah The British government have reached an all-time low, I cannot believe they have forced somebody with motor neurone disease to effectively pay for a wet room they are unbelievable

Leave a comment:

• Fru
    replied
    Thank you Rachel at MND Connect, all sorted.
    Fru X

Leave a comment:

• Fru
    replied
    Hi all, Is it possible to send an attachment (picture) via PM, if so, how?
    Fru XX

Leave a comment:

• Fru
    replied
    Sorry, haven't had much time today. Will PM tomorrow and talk you through plus will scan and send. No probs.
    Fru X

Leave a comment:

• AndyB
    replied
    Originally posted by Christoff View Post
    Fru - that would be great PM me

What i cant get me head round is that MND has been around for some time. There are certain things any sufferer will eventually need regarding washing and bathing - surely it is not beyond the wit of man for there to be a minimum require and typical layout to show shower; toilet in relation to shower, toilet in relation to wash hand basin; minimum turning circle etc etc etc. I am not asking for the secret of turning base metals into gold, i simply would like considered advice and technical assistance

I just think it is shocking we have this terrible condition and have to play the medical equivalent of 'Where'e Wally'
    Chris I'm with you on that, it's not exactly rocket science is it? You'd think the OTs would have some sort of fact sheet specifying the minimum requirements rather than us each having to work it out ourselves.

Leave a comment:

• Christoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Fru View Post
    Hi Christoff,
    We have a fab OT who has done plans for our wet room, I can give you dimensions if you like. You don't have to have everything done if you are self funding. I gather that you don't get much say if it is being funded and yes Barry I think you are right as I have spent the last 3 months looking at wet rooms and costs...
    Fru X
    Fru - that would be great PM me

What i cant get me head round is that MND has been around for some time. There are certain things any sufferer will eventually need regarding washing and bathing - surely it is not beyond the wit of man for there to be a minimum require and typical layout to show shower; toilet in relation to shower, toilet in relation to wash hand basin; minimum turning circle etc etc etc. I am not asking for the secret of turning base metals into gold, i simply would like considered advice and technical assistance

I just think it is shocking we have this terrible condition and have to play the medical equivalent of 'Where'e Wally'

Leave a comment:

• Fru
    replied
    Hi Christoff,
    We have a fab OT who has done plans for our wet room, I can give you dimensions if you like. You don't have to have everything done if you are self funding. I gather that you don't get much say if it is being funded and yes Barry I think you are right as I have spent the last 3 months looking at wet rooms and costs...
    Fru X

Leave a comment:

• Barry52
    replied
    Hi Annb,

Sounds like the old boy network is alive and kicking with your cash to hand out as bungs. I thought this died out in the 70’s but maybe it has been revived in this era of austerity.

Ye old cynic,
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• Annb
    replied
    Our local authority wanted to charge us 10% to project manage the converting of the a downstairs cloakroom into a wet-room. They offered to speed thing up by using the architect they frequently worked with who could adapt plans so that they would go through the planning process quickly and they also had builders on tap. However, we felt pushed and were going to lose control and have little choice about the fixtures, so we decided against using them. It is important not to be rushed and to think through exactly what it is that you want and need.

Leave a comment:

• Annb
    replied
    Vat

Originally posted by Christoff View Post
    Andy B - thanks for the information, i am surprised you had to pay for building regulations as it is a disabled adaptation and these ought to be waived. We too had the kind offer of 10% to project manage and we too respectfully told them to go forth and multiply. I don't think we are asking too much to have a bit of technical assistance but it seems to be the way of the council/local government.

We have an architect coming round tomorrow for initial designs and drawings. As it is an integral garage conversion it will not be perfect but we have adequate access to one side of the bed position and an uninterrupted path to the wet room. The wet room looks as though it can be configured to have a turning circle of 1200mm for a wheelchair.

I shall keep you all posted on progress
    Don't forget to ask about zero VAT. It is a complex area but can reduce the cost considerably.
    Ann

Leave a comment:

• Sueb
    replied
    When we changed our shower/bathroom into a wet room our OT gave us a list of local builders who undertook this kind of work for the council. We got in touch with one and we where happy with him and they carried out all the work for us.
    Sue

Leave a comment:

Working...
X