Wet Room Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that Bern.
    Guess I'm just the same. Everyone says plan ahead but how can you think of these things before you're faced with them. It's just too painful so we put it off.
    Take care x

Comment

Hi Bern,

Would you consider renting or buying a stair lift?

Ellie x.
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Ellie,

We have a stair lift. I have a walk to it - about 4 metres and a walk from it to the toilet - about 3 metres. By the time I get back to my rise and recline chair, my legs have had it! Physio says I'm doing too much and should transfer to wheelchair at the bottom of the stairs until I regain strength. She's also suggested having a slide and glide chair at the top.

Bern x

Comment

I have to agree with the Physio - Why not conserve your energy and preserve your safety and use 4 wheels instead of 2 feet?

I haven't heard of a slide and glide chair; did she say what they are?

Ellie x

Comment

Hi Ellie,

Evidently it slides/glides over the toilet.
            I'll get in it at the top of the stairs, it will be wheeled to the bathroom and over the toilet.
            I await it with interest! I'm a bit unsure because I'll still have to get undressed/dressed.

Bern x

Comment

Oh, I've one of those. It's a wheeled shower chair/commode chair.

If she's going to the bother of getting you one, it's best to future proof it and get a shower chair (with the seat open at the front for washing your bits!) rather than a commode chair which doesn't have the front opening.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                Since I'm currently in the process of having my own wet room set up for me I thought I'd join in with this thread.

Like many I'm self-funding. Our house has (had) an integral garage with a toilet adjacent to it. So the wall between the toilet and the garage has been knocked down and this together with part of the garage will create an 'L' shaped wet room. The remainder of the garage will be my bedroom. The door from the hall In to the garage has been moved to be opposite the door from the lounge into the hall so that when I'm in a wheelchair I can easily go from the lounge to the bedroom. There is then a door from the bedroom into the wet room . Ceiling joists have been strengthened to cater for hoists as and when required . Th OT said that most people get hoisted onto a shower chair and are then wheeled into the wet room for the shower and the chair fits over the toilet too. I' m planning on getting a bidet toilet seat so have had the electrics and plumbing set up ready for when I get it.

Work has been going on for a few months, dust everywhere , but the bedroom is now painted so just the wet room to go.
                I'm going to put my hifi into the bedroom so that I can use it as a music room and make it a happy place rather than a room for my illness.

When it's all done I'll try and put some photos on here.

Andy
                Sporadic MND/ALS - Limb onset - Diagnosed May 2016

Today is the tomorrow I feared yesterday

Comment

Since my husband's diagnosis, I have had to think one step ahead for him so things are less stressful for him. We have just had our wet room done. On our OT's advice we are going to live downstairs. I have never considered staying upstairs because of the difficulty of transfers. People will just have to take us as they find us. It's a bit like how we used to live years ago when we got our first flat a sort of large bedsit with wet room off, separate kitchen and level access to our garden. We have put our dining table in our conservatory. All equipment is stored in the garage. We have tried to make things as easy as possible for us at home.
                  I hope all goes well with your new adaptations.
                  We are doing the best we can
                  Love Fru XX

Comment

Working...
                  X