Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fru
    replied
    Since my husband's diagnosis, I have had to think one step ahead for him so things are less stressful for him. We have just had our wet room done. On our OT's advice we are going to live downstairs. I have never considered staying upstairs because of the difficulty of transfers. People will just have to take us as they find us. It's a bit like how we used to live years ago when we got our first flat a sort of large bedsit with wet room off, separate kitchen and level access to our garden. We have put our dining table in our conservatory. All equipment is stored in the garage. We have tried to make things as easy as possible for us at home.
    I hope all goes well with your new adaptations.
    We are doing the best we can
    Love Fru XX

Leave a comment:

• AndyB
    replied
    Hi everyone,
    Since I'm currently in the process of having my own wet room set up for me I thought I'd join in with this thread.

Like many I'm self-funding. Our house has (had) an integral garage with a toilet adjacent to it. So the wall between the toilet and the garage has been knocked down and this together with part of the garage will create an 'L' shaped wet room. The remainder of the garage will be my bedroom. The door from the hall In to the garage has been moved to be opposite the door from the lounge into the hall so that when I'm in a wheelchair I can easily go from the lounge to the bedroom. There is then a door from the bedroom into the wet room . Ceiling joists have been strengthened to cater for hoists as and when required . Th OT said that most people get hoisted onto a shower chair and are then wheeled into the wet room for the shower and the chair fits over the toilet too. I' m planning on getting a bidet toilet seat so have had the electrics and plumbing set up ready for when I get it.

Work has been going on for a few months, dust everywhere , but the bedroom is now painted so just the wet room to go.
    I'm going to put my hifi into the bedroom so that I can use it as a music room and make it a happy place rather than a room for my illness.

When it's all done I'll try and put some photos on here.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Oh, I've one of those. It's a wheeled shower chair/commode chair.

If she's going to the bother of getting you one, it's best to future proof it and get a shower chair (with the seat open at the front for washing your bits!) rather than a commode chair which doesn't have the front opening.

Leave a comment:

• Bern
    replied
    Hi Ellie,

Evidently it slides/glides over the toilet.
    I'll get in it at the top of the stairs, it will be wheeled to the bathroom and over the toilet.
    I await it with interest! I'm a bit unsure because I'll still have to get undressed/dressed.

Bern x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    I have to agree with the Physio - Why not conserve your energy and preserve your safety and use 4 wheels instead of 2 feet?

I haven't heard of a slide and glide chair; did she say what they are?

Ellie x

Leave a comment:

• Bern
    replied
    Hi Ellie,

We have a stair lift. I have a walk to it - about 4 metres and a walk from it to the toilet - about 3 metres. By the time I get back to my rise and recline chair, my legs have had it! Physio says I'm doing too much and should transfer to wheelchair at the bottom of the stairs until I regain strength. She's also suggested having a slide and glide chair at the top.

Bern x

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Hi Bern,

Would you consider renting or buying a stair lift?

Ellie x.

Leave a comment:

• Newbie17
    replied
    Thanks for that Bern.
    Guess I'm just the same. Everyone says plan ahead but how can you think of these things before you're faced with them. It's just too painful so we put it off.
    Take care x

Leave a comment:

• Bern
    replied
    Hi Newbie,

We have a wetroom upstairs in the family bathroom. It's been great until this week when my legs have weakened more. I was very blinkered and said I had no intention of having a downstairs bedroom.
    Last night I would have given anything to have all facilities on the downstairs level.

Bern x

Leave a comment:

• Newbie17
    replied
    Hi everyone, thought I better keep wet room questions all together on one forum.I've got a bit of a dilemma and really can't make my mind up so any advice would be very muchappreciated.
    This might seem A silly question to many but it's important to me
    I need a wet room but I'm not sure where to put it. I have an ensuite shower room which I'm told is too small to convert. I have a bathroom upstairs which was redone just before I was diagnosed and is so lovely. Downstairs I have a small study room which could be converted to a wet room at greater expense. The room is tucked away so would be relatively private.
    I have a stairlift so can get up and down okay at the moment. The bedrooms are all upstairs and I have no plans to sleep downstairs.
    Regardless of any possible funding I have to get this adaptation done . My OT has said that either option would work . Neither is going to be perfect . I have a downstairs cloakroom but it's way too small for me to use in the wheelchair that I'm soon going to need.
    I'm trying to think of all the different scenarios but can't decide. Everyone keeps saying it's my decision .

I realise I'm very fortunate in having options but sometimes that can make things more difficult! I've been stalling on this and I can't really afford to. It's yet another milestone to deal with in accepting my new normal. All advice welcome.
    Thank you and best wishes to all of you x

Leave a comment:

• kevin
    replied
    Hi christoff
    Don't forget it's not planners who pass plans it's councilors . Your in a very strong position find out who is in planing committee and email them all . Get support letter off Rachel and when they come to see you explain why u need to extend front . I know it's a pain in the bum but I will be amazed if you loose . You need to get everything to gether and put your case . Good luck mate

Leave a comment:

• MNDConnect
    replied
    Hi Christoff

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your application. We would be very happy to write a support letter regarding your application if it would be helpful?

We often write support letters for a variety of situations as it can sometimes help to explain more about MND and it's impact and how something such as an adaptation can improve someone's quality of life.

We can't promise that it will make a difference but it's certainly worth a try. Please do let me know if you think this would be helpful and we can discuss it in a bit more detail.

Best Wishes

Rachel

Leave a comment:

• Christoff
    replied
    Well we are having a time with our application, apparently the front extension may not sit in with the street scene! I have looked at the documentation and it all looks very subjective. Also we are at the top of a cul-de-sac and no direct roads passing us. Our street isn't a set of box houses where a front extension would look out of place....honestly i give up sometimes, this condition is hard enough to cope with without the added bonus of jumped up little officienados putting a spanner in the works.. i will await the decision imminently

Leave a comment:

• Fru
    replied
    Hi again, We are going to be living downstairs very shortly I think. The house is covered in dust. Ed has his first wheelchair assessment next week, our OT put the request in last April. We are self funding so we are having to work to a priority list. We think we are doing okay.
    Best wishes to you all
    Fru XX

Leave a comment:

• Fru
    replied
    Hi, we are having a bit of quiet time after having our wet room done. I will try to post a picture... Also we had a roof put on our conservatory to give us extra living space. DSC_0033 (1).jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X