Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streetwise
    replied
    my mam said she didn't want to cry she just couldn't control it ,sometimes she might laugh ,emotional lability doesn't just happen in motor neurone disease it can happen when you're extremely tired as well.
    citalopram is a very mild antidepressant ,if you can ask her see if she thinks it works well enough ,the problem is it's only really made for a few months! so she may have to change onto something else.

Leave a comment:

• Tim-griffiths
    replied
    thank you Barry
    wife only diagnosed in October and everything seems to have gone at an helter skelter pace, what with hospital appointments, doctors, cns , dietician, salt,, ect
    she has been given some drops to take ( citalopram ), she also takes carbocistine and patches for her phlegm and drooling, and some other stuff called riluzole
    she has lately been having trouble with swallowing solids, so drinks ensure, supplied by the abbot hospital, who also supply other things like syringes ect, everyone has been really helpful.
    a lot of the time i just feel helpless and although the supports there i cant stop worrying about her when at work ( been very good so far, but i wonder how long the goodwill will last )

Leave a comment:

• Barry52
    replied
    Hi Tim,

The crying and mood swings is part of the disease symptoms and can be safely controlled with antidepressants prescribed by a GP. The description of the condition is emotional lability and I control it with citalopram. 2 stair rails are a must have and as Bern mentioned an OT will assess the safety issues in your home.

Best wishes,
    Barry

Leave a comment:

• Tim-griffiths
    replied
    Thank you Bern
    I think the CNS has spoken to west Berkshire council to come out and review the situation, we only have one hand rail going up the stairs too, so maybe they could do something there as well, all a worry though especially when she is on her own

Leave a comment:

• Bern
    replied
    Hi Tim,

It's a hard situation to be in.
    Has the OT been to see you? It sounds like your wife needs a stair lift or through floor lift.
    Also, I struggled with a shower over the bath and it was very scary. A wetroom might be the answer.
    I know these are purely practical solutions and I know MND connect will point you in the right direction.
    Take care,

Bern

Leave a comment:

• Tim-griffiths
    started a topic Not sure how to handle wife's crying

Not sure how to handle wife's crying

Sorry not been on for a while,wife, Mary was diagnosed in October 2017, her speech is now virtually incomprehensible and she writes everything down, although she does have an app on her tablet to help her.
    Her speech, as I've said is very difficult to decipher, she had a peg in in January, which I clean and flush, although as yet I haven't the confidence to push the tube in and out of her stomach, District nurses are due to help with that for the time being.
    She has lost strength in her hands and finds it very difficult,her fingers are now all gnarled, she cries a lot and suffers mood swings. She has trouble getting in and out of the shower, our shower is connected to the bath taps, and sometimes wobbles going up and down stairs, I worry constantly that she will hurt herself whilst I'm at work, the neighbours have my mobile number to contact me if anything happens.
    all that I can handle at the present moment, but I'm not sure how to react to her crying all the time , sometimes when I hug her and tell her I love her and I'm going nowhere she just pushes me away, other times she hugs me back and the crying gets worse. I want to cry as well but I'm still suppressing the tears, I know I should let it all out but it's easier said than done
    Any advice would be most welcome
    Tim
Working...
X