Mri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mri

Does anybody know why MND sufferers are not offered brain scans? i.e brain tumour sufferers are scanned every 6 mths.

MND is not an incurable disease ,it is an underfunded disease.

Hello
    I was diagnosed with MND in Italy and as part of the diagnosis I had several MRI scans (Brain, neck etc). When we returned to the UK there have been no MRI scans.

I had conductivity tests, X-Rays and CT scans also in Italy

Comment

Hi Marge and welcome to the forum;

Generally a MIR scan of the head and possibly neck is very normally before diagnoses as it rules out other possible things it could be.

A scan afterwards would be pointless unless there is any doubt in you having Mnd.

There are changes in the brain associated with Mnd but they can't be detected from the outside, Yet.

Love Terry
      TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Marge

As Terry mentions, MRIs are used to rule out other possible conditions that may be causing someone's symptoms before a diagnosis is made. The progression of MND can't currently be seen on an MRI so they are not routinely carried out once a diagnosis has been made.

Thanks for your help Terry

Best Wishes

Rachel
        MND Connect
        Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MNDConnect View Post

The progression of MND can't currently be seen on an MRI ...
            Actually, it's hoped that changes in brain mapping can be seen in brains with ALS using functional MRI scans.

I've had my brain imaged in a 3T scanner several times, in conjunction with clinical tests, as part of an ongoing research project..

Ellie.
            Last edited by Ellie; 2 October 2018, 15:19.
            ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
            Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Ellie,

You're right, in one of our research projects at the moment they are using MRI scans to look at Biomarkers in MND. However this will only be offered to people on the study and not routinely offered. More information about this study can be found here

If somebody was not part of this study there would be no reason why a neurologist would wish to regularly look at neuroimaging of the brain.

Best Wishes,

Adele
              MND Connect
              Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

There's no therapeutic knowledge gained from the fMRI scans Marge, and they're done in more powerful scanners than are used in normal MRIs, which not every hospital has. So I guess why they're not routinely done.

Everyone in my Clinic is offered the chance to participate in the research - which entails lying flat for 45mins (which many cannot do) in a very noisy scanner!

But if anyone is offered one, think about taking part - for the greater good and all that stuff

Love Ellie.
                ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I guess it would be nice to be offered, not much chance of that happening.
                  Thanks for the reply Ellie.

Comment

The result of my head MRI was to say that changes were evident in the bulbar something or other indicating a degenerative disease most likely MND.
                    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
                    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Thanks Lynne and interesting that your MRI showed some changes.
                      I just wonder why there are such differences in what is offered to patients.
                      I note the NHS website now just directs people to this website for additional information for sufferers and carers.

Comment

Working...
                      X