Testing for the mnd gene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing for the mnd gene

My father died recently from PBP MND and I need some advice on what to do about finding out if I or my child are likely to have inherited it. I don’t even know if I want to know.

Hi LauraS. I think it is roughly 50/50 whether you will have the gene Defect if your father was Familial ? Was he gene tested ?
    If he did not have a Familial gene defect and so sporadic MND you are at the same risk as the rest of society..
    Take care.. TIANDB

Comment

Hi Laura
      I'm so sorry to hear that your father died recently from MND.

If there is no other family history of your relatives having a diagnosis of MND then there would be no reason to think that your father had a gene which could be passed on to you or your child. The inherited form of MND is very rare and only 5-10% of all people living with MND have an inherited form. The other 90-95% of people have sporadic MND which isn't passed through the family.

Please do give us a call if you would like to discuss this further or if you have any concerns. We are available on 0808 802 6262 Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. Our number is free to call from mobiles and landlines.

Best Wishes
      Rachel
      MND Connect
      Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

Working...
      X