No announcement yet.

Wheel chair v Riser recliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Sue. I received a chair Wednesday from the family of somebody local to me who had lost his battle with MND after just 6 weeks use. He'd only been diagnosed 8 months ago. A quick deterioration indeed. I find the chair uncomfortable and worsens my back pain. Our Ikea sofa (using a small cushion to support my lower back) is lovely and comfy. But in the near future as I'll need to use a recliner/riser. I don't know what to do. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

Could your OT take a look at you sitting in the R-R armchair and see if a lumbar roll, seat cushion, or whatever, would improve your sitting position?

It was kind of that family to give you the chair, but if it's too deep/wide for you and causing you pain - and it can't be sorted with cushions, then it's not right for you unfortunately.

Love Ellie.
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Hi Lynne

I got a rise and recliner from the OT when I was first diagnosed because I had a back problem and couldn't sit on a normal height chair. We have altered it a few times as it is in sections at the back and we have taken the stuffing out and moved it about . You really should be measured for one if your OT is allowed to provide you with one .

Glad you have settled in your new home you will soon get it all sorted

Love Chris

Comment

hi Mick was measured for his. He just couldnt get comfy in our chair. his chest was uncomfortable, he kept sitting forward.they also put 2nd stair rail up, they are ( i think) doing wet room, i returned my form last wk with details of my earnings and day after sent 2 plumbers, this will be clos i mat loo as well. I think u get basic but can pay more to upgrade. Micks resurrected his old hobby of amateur radio n is using trolley type table we bought for him in jan when having hip replc. its 2 small n shes approved a bigger one. we were going to buy one

Comment

Chris,
            My OT was going to come out to measure me but rang to say that the MND Association has stopped supplying chairs so she can't measure me. Lynne
            ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.

Comment

Hi Ellie. Thanks for your message about the rise and recline chair. The one I was given is too short in the seat for me. The width is ok. Lynne

Comment

Hi Lynne;

Your OT should maybe provide one as they are a important piece of equipment for us to be comfortable and safe. You could be lucky and they provide you with one.

Love Terry
                TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Comment

Hi Lynne
                  Our local authority supplied mine not the MNDA , but I think it does depend on where you live . Another case of the post code lottery maybe
                  Love Chris

Comment

Hello Lynne.

That is such a shame about the OT cancelling the appointment and must have been disappointing for you. As the MNDA is no longer loaning riser/recliners, hopefully more local authorities will look into providing them. As Chris has already said, it is a bit of a postcode lottery at the moment.

Hopefully, all local authorities will have the finances to provide riser/recliners in future - we can live in hope!

Love
                    Kayleigh

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                      Dear Mnda;

Can the mnda make available the specification sheet and as much info as possible to help us and our OT's to measure etc, to try to make sure we buy a suitable sized one.

Love Terry
                      Hi Terry

I've checked with our Support Services Team who ran our riser-recliner armchair loan service. Unfortunately we don't have a specification sheet that we could make available. A riser-recliner should be assessed for by an Occupational Therapist to ensure that it is the correct size before a chair is purchased.

Best Wishes
                      Rachel
                      MND Connect Adviser

Comment

My OT is coming tomorrow and planning on talking through the options about the chair. She had first said that a local hospice could pick it up. Then she emailed me again to explain that there are other options. One is to have the chair altered. The other is to buy one, maybe applying for a grant yo help toward the purchase price. Lynne

Comment

Hello Lynne,

It sounds like you have got a very helpful OT, which is good.

It is a shame that your local authority does not provide riser/recliners but hopefully one of the other options will work out for you.

I would imagine that there are many other OTs around the country who used to use the MNDA's riser/recliner loaning service and, like your OT, are now having to look into other ways that their patients can get them.

I hope all goes well tomorrow.

Love,
                          Kayleigh x
                          Last edited by Kayleigh; 11 December 2018, 19:14.

Comment

Thanks Kayleigh. You are right about my OT. She is a very good one. Lynne

Comment

Hi Lynne

Your OT can apply to the MND Association for a grant towards the cost of a riser-recliner armchair. The Support Care Grant application that the OT would need to complete can be found here https://www.mndassociation.org/getti...ople-with-mnd/

The provision of a riser-recliner armchair is the responsibility of statutory services in the first instance. When the OT has exhausted the statutory services route then the OT can source a suitable chair and apply for a grant from the MND Association for a contribution towards the cost.

Best Wishes
                              Rachel
                              MND Connect Adviser

Comment

Thanks Rachel. Lynne

Comment

Working...
                                X