Gold Coast Criteria...is it valid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold Coast Criteria...is it valid?

I read the Oct/Nov 2020 newsletter published by the World Federation of Neurology. Are these new criteria valid? If so, then that would mean that the use of possible, probable, and definite ALS was abandoned last year. The new criteria diagnosis is a yes or no without the multiple stages involved with the Awaji and El Escorial criteria.

Dear Johnny5,

Thank you for your question.

I have passed this onto our research team for their input.

As soon as we receive a response, we will get back to you.

Kind regards
    Jacqui Anderson
    Senior MND Connect Adviser
    MND Connect
    Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

Dear Johnny5

I have received a response back to your question from our Research team, please see below:

The Gold coast criteria have not yet been properly validated, so has not supplanted the El Escorial/Awaji criteria yet. It is important to point out that El Escorial is used for research purposes and not for clinical diagnosis. Experienced clinicians already operate in more of a ‘Yes/No’ fashion when giving a diagnosis and this is starting to filter into their research criteria as well. However, drug companies in particular are cautious about change, given the huge cost of trials, so further ‘real world’ validation is needed before they become the international standard.

Hope this answers your question, however if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards
      Jacqui Anderson
      Senior MND Connect Adviser
      MND Connect
      Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

Working...
      X