No announcement yet.

Changing Hospice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Changing Hospice

    Just wondering if you can give any advice on how to go about changing hospices. There hospice my mother goes to is in the families opinion being neglectful and we would like her care to be moved to the hospice we know understands MND. Somewhere she won't be told by an OT that they are predominantly for cancer patients and we should only have contact with the Dr at the hospice every 3months. Somewhere mum will get the care support and compassion sadly lacking at the present hospice.

    Also do you know if the It's in northamptonshire fund a neater eater or as this is so expensive is it something that has to be self funded? I know we asked for an over the bed table but was told we would have to buy our own so I guess the neater eater might be well out of budget if they can't afford a simple table.

    Any advice on the above 2 topics will be gratefully received, Jude x

    Hello Jude,

    I can answer one of your questions. Apply to MNDA who will give you a grant towards the neater eater. Someone in our group has just been successful with this. You can do this through the the OT who is responsible for your mother.

    Best wishes,
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!


      Dear Jude,

      I am very sorry to hear of your mother’s difficult experience with the hospice that she attends currently.

      Most hospices require referrals from a GP, or a member of your mother’s health and social care team would be able to refer her. Some hospices do allow self-referrals. Sometimes there may be waiting lists to access palliative or hospice care, as referrals are usually prioritised on the needs of the people wanting to access them. Services may also differ based on your location. You may find it helpful to contact the Regional Care Development Adviser (RCDA) for your area to find out what alternative hospice services are available in your area. You can find details of your local RCDA on our website here

      Regarding funding for a neater eater, as explained by Barry , you can approach the Association for help with funding towards the cost of either the purchase or hire of a neater eater. This would be via the MND care grant which would need to be completed by one of your mum’s health professionals. You can view further information about this funding on our website here

      I do hope this is helpful.

      If you have any further queries, then please do not hesitate to contact us again.

      Kindest regards,
      MND Connect
      Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]