Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cramped leg now suffering muscular atrophy. Do I have MND?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cramped leg now suffering muscular atrophy. Do I have MND?

Today I had a terrible leg cramp. I was holding a sort of yoga pose with my leg bent backwards at the knee and ankle held up towards the sky, until my right thigh cramped very painfully. Hours later it's still hurting, but the opposite leg hasn't cramped from the same positon. Strength tests immediately after the cramp also showed that I'm finding it more difficult to raise from a sitting position on 1 leg, and when trying to raise myself up from 2 flights of stairs on the right leg, it's outright impossible, my knee/thighs cannot carry my weight on that side anymore...

I come home and measure the thighs, and now there's a noticeable 1 inch difference in my thigh muscles. Not to mention when seated, my left thigh retains its muscle, and my right thigh loses its definition... Am I... am I dead...?

Please take MNDConnect up on their offer to have a chat with you about your fears, which they made on your previous thread - ring them, talk to them.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

It's not going to change anything... I'm dead... at 19 I have the first signs of wastage and atrophy... in one leg, over 2 months, as every single diagnostic description says...

Comment

I... I don't understand...
        Sometimes the measurements will say the right has atrophied, sometimes they'll say it hasn't... I... I don't know which ones to believe, I, I don't want to die!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The measurements will not tell you you have atrophied……the doctor will.

Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Isn't the entire point of taking measurements to assess atrophy...?

Comment

You could have difference in your thigh measurements for a whole host of reasons which would be best assessed as to why by a qualified doctor
              Foxes Never Quit 💙

Comment

Troll.

Comment

Music man's wife I wondered the same, I looked up on wiki the meaning of internet troll to be sure!!!

Comment

Recently I directed you to BFS on Reddit and muscle twitch which I see you have looked at.

See your GP for the support you need.

I think you really could do with some support and I don’t think this is the correct place at this time.

Sadly MNDA don’t seem to man these threads as they perhaps should.

Do read your first couple of responses on here, as it is meant well, and positive advice, but first port of call should be GP perhaps a friend or family member could accompany you?

please get some help I know it’s hard for you.

Comment

Dear Arkotract,

Please do call MND Connect if you would like to discuss your symptoms.

Our telephone number is freephone 0808 802 6262 and we are available 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday. Alternatively, you can email us: [email protected]

Kind regards

Jacqui
                      Senior MND Connect Adviser
                      MND Connect
                      Contact us on 0808 802 6262 or at [email protected]

Comment

There are many reasons why your leg may seem to atrophy. The first thing, do not jump to conclusions

The likelihood that you have MND is 3+/- out of 100,000 people, or 30 people +/- per million. This is a very rare disease and a very serious one. Only a medical professional can say what is going on here. Not going to see a doctor can lead to mental health conditions from the stress, as well as failing to get the proper treatment for whatever is going on.

Comment

Well, my leg... hasn't atrophied, since I got a clinical exam... I scored 5/5 and the affected leg was actually a few millimetres bigger...

The problem comes from the fact that my quadricep and knee is weaker... so I have a harder time getting up from a chair or getting up from a squat on the right leg compared to the left... to the point where it's near impossible if I'm too low on the right leg...

This is also painless...

Which means I have MND...

Comment

Painless is not a part of diagnosing ALS. What you describe could be caused by radiculopathy. Have you had a lumbar MRI or CT scan yet?

Lots of different conditions can cause what you describe. Have you had any EMG/NCV tests done? What about blood, and heavy metals testing?

Before I had my lumbar surgery (4 level fusion and laminectomy of L4-L5) I had similar symptoms years before I was ever diagnosed.

Comment

I did have a major fall directly onto the side of my thigh about 5 weeks ago, the ankle and thigh in that specific location have felt weaker ever since that fall... If... if I get lucky, it might just be that the muscles are still healing...

I'm going for an EMG soon, though... and it's terrifying me... MND is still very likely...

Comment

Working...
                              X