Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tongue atrophy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tongue atrophy?

    One side of my tongue, my left slide, slants downwards while at rest... It presses against the molars, while the right side is generally above the molar, creating a definite slant...
    I've noticed I now mainly speak out of the right side of my mouth too...

    Has my tongue atrophied...? Is it suffering denervation...? Do I have ALS...?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

    #2
    You know we can't answer that. I have bulbar onset Als. 3 yrs symptoms. I have noticed no atrophy at all. It just doesn't work as fast. But I didn't and don't keep examining my tongue.
    Diagnosed May 2021 bulbar onset als.

    Comment


      #3
      Arkotract Eew, gross - nobody wants to see photos of an open mouth...
      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
      Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

      Comment


        #4
        Only a neurologist can tell you if you have ALS no one here can.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Sunset1964 View Post
          Only a neurologist can tell you if you have ALS no one here can.
          I'm not asking for a full diagnosis... but you can see one side of my tongue has atrophied, can't you...?

          Comment


            #6
            Atrophy of the tongue refers to wasting away of the tongue muscle so that it eventually shrivels up and then cannot move. Also, many patients have a little "quivering" when it's protruded from the mouth. Get it looked at by a neurologist.

            I can certainly understand how frightened people can be with the elevated public awareness about ALS. Keep your appointment with neuro and see what they think. The only thing we can do here is educate and reassure you. Beyond that, you need to pursue help from a qualified professional.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Johnny5 View Post
              Atrophy of the tongue refers to wasting away of the tongue muscle so that it eventually shrivels up and then cannot move. Also, many patients have a little "quivering" when it's protruded from the mouth. Get it looked at by a neurologist.

              I can certainly understand how frightened people can be with the elevated public awareness about ALS. Keep your appointment with neuro and see what they think. The only thing we can do here is educate and reassure you. Beyond that, you need to pursue help from a qualified professional.
              I understand that... and... my tongue quivers a bit when it's extended... does that mean I likely have it as well? I physically feel that the left half of my tongue rests lower in my mouth than the right side, I know you can't fully diagnose... but... is it likely...?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Arkotract View Post

                I understand that... and... my tongue quivers a bit when it's extended... does that mean I likely have it as well? I physically feel that the left half of my tongue rests lower in my mouth than the right side, I know you can't fully diagnose... but... is it likely...?
                He's given you great advice. Go seek out a professional. I'm sorry that you're going through this. Health anxiety is awful. However, nothing anyone can say here is going to reassure you and trying to self-diagnose over the internet is really unhelpful and unhealthy as it doesn't really matter what anyone says, you're going to still be very anxious until you see a neurologist.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Arkotract - I've seen an atrophied tongue and it looked nothing like yours.
                  Diagnosis confirmed Jan 2022 (age 46) after several years ignored/ misdiagnosed.

                  Symptoms began in left foot 2017. Now mainly left side, speech and some loss on right side too.

                  Unable to walk unaided (powerchair user), poor speech, left hand behaves like a drunk toddler but generally positive and determined.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    There are probably more than a dozen causes of tongue atrophy. I read one article about cancer metastasis in the spinal cord that caused tongue atrophy.

                    Jumping to conclusions at this point is not a great idea friend. You need to get help though, do not ignore the medical professionals that can help you. So the whole truth is that at this point, anything is likely.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X