Bypap machine advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great to hear Denise! Thanks for the update x
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Dont worry too much it gives more energy which was used by friend's father. he feels better now

Comment

Hi everyone last night we had bad wind and rain and no electricity. Bipap machine alarm woke me up. No idea what it was at first but when I ran in to check on Stephen there was the red alarm button on. I gather the battery kicks in but have no idea how long it's supposed to last. Thank goodness Stephen doesn't desperately need to use it but it was a concern. Something else to worry about

Comment

denise It should tell you in the NIV machine manual how long the battery lasts - usually in the 6-8hr range, depending on settings, humidifier etc. Mine is 8hrs on battery.

If you get regular power cuts, an external battery as backup is a good idea.

Comment

Think next time we get a visit from health visitor who deals with ventilator I shall ask her because it's not unusual here to go without electricity. She must have others in same situation. She was supposed to come on Wednesday.

Comment

Hi Denise - my respiratory nurse advised me to have a second Nippy 3+ to take on holiday. We were going away as often as we could before covid so she has left it with us. I asked about an extra battery instead but was told it was about as heavy as the Nippy! (is this true Ellie?).
              Two Nippy's are heavy and cumbersome and both need to be in the cabin when you fly. My wife is not best pleased with this arrangement!
              I tested both batteries and had similar results to Ellie - over 7 hours.
              Best

Robin

Diagnosed 05/2017 Familial ALS Limb onset

Comment

I'm sure the battery didn't last that long. I can't find any paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                  I asked about an extra battery instead but was told it was about as heavy as the Nippy! (is this true Ellie?)
                  Umm, don't think so Robin - the standard external rechargeable Lithium Ion battery weighs 810g (Breas part number 0910) Breas also list a charger for the external battery, part number 0911.

I checked their parts and there is a Nickel Metal Hydride battery weighing in at a whopping 5.4kg, more than the Nippy 3+ itself @4.5kg. I have no idea what the difference is between these 2 batteries is, apart from the obvious! This must be where the 'heavy battery' comes from.

Ask about the Lithium Ion one.

Love Ellie.

Comment

denise What make and model is Stephen's ventilator? I can try find out for you or you could ask whoever gave it to him - you need to know the battery life if your power has a tendency to go.

Comment

Thanks Ellie - i'll contact the guys in lung function directly as they're normally really helpful. I suspect it may be a case of what stock is available....
                      Best

Robin

Diagnosed 05/2017 Familial ALS Limb onset

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                        .....it's not unusual here to go without electricity.
                        Denise, are you on your electricity supplier's priority register? Probably worth considering if you have frequent power cuts.

Comment

Working...
                        X