Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denise
    replied
    Yes I have it in my head that once a week I will change the battery over. Covid test tomorrow - he can't wait ☹

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    I think you’re right Denise - if Stephen sleeps comfortably with the BiPAP’s current settings, they are probably OK and his breathing pattern whilst settling into a more relaxed pattern, is causing him to be overly aware.

But yes, both the number of breaths per minute (BPM on the settings) and timed inspiration (Ti) can be changed if necessary.

You’re all set now with your spare batteries 👍 Make sure you follow guidelines for charging them, even if not being used as they leak power over time.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    We now have a spare battery and a new mask. Now have 3! I'm sure I read somewhere that the bipap machine breathes in time with the person using it? Or can it be altered. Stephen complains that he hasn't got rid of his breath when it expects him to breath in again. I thought perhaps he is thinking about it too much and once he falls asleep it would be ok. It doesn't stop him sleeping.

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    Thanks for that Ellie makes me think this battery isn't working because I don't think it managed a few hours.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Denise, the internal battery in the A40 lasts up to 11hrs, most of the typical settings we use would see that reduced to about 8hrs.

I got the info from the Philips website: https://www.philips.co.uk/healthcare...specifications

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    Not sure if there is a priority list here in Portugal but I shall try to find out.
    ventilator is a Phillips respironics bipap a40. Rechargeable li-ion battery 14.8v 4440mah
    ref 1043570 41cr19/65-2.

Leave a comment:

• GaryM
    replied
    Originally posted by denise View Post
    .....it's not unusual here to go without electricity.
    Denise, are you on your electricity supplier's priority register? Probably worth considering if you have frequent power cuts.

Leave a comment:

• Guy
    replied
    Thanks Ellie - i'll contact the guys in lung function directly as they're normally really helpful. I suspect it may be a case of what stock is available....

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    denise What make and model is Stephen's ventilator? I can try find out for you or you could ask whoever gave it to him - you need to know the battery life if your power has a tendency to go.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy View Post
    I asked about an extra battery instead but was told it was about as heavy as the Nippy! (is this true Ellie?)
    Umm, don't think so Robin - the standard external rechargeable Lithium Ion battery weighs 810g (Breas part number 0910) Breas also list a charger for the external battery, part number 0911.

I checked their parts and there is a Nickel Metal Hydride battery weighing in at a whopping 5.4kg, more than the Nippy 3+ itself @4.5kg. I have no idea what the difference is between these 2 batteries is, apart from the obvious! This must be where the 'heavy battery' comes from.

Ask about the Lithium Ion one.

Love Ellie.

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    I'm sure the battery didn't last that long. I can't find any paperwork.

Leave a comment:

• Guy
    replied
    Hi Denise - my respiratory nurse advised me to have a second Nippy 3+ to take on holiday. We were going away as often as we could before covid so she has left it with us. I asked about an extra battery instead but was told it was about as heavy as the Nippy! (is this true Ellie?).
    Two Nippy's are heavy and cumbersome and both need to be in the cabin when you fly. My wife is not best pleased with this arrangement!
    I tested both batteries and had similar results to Ellie - over 7 hours.

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    Think next time we get a visit from health visitor who deals with ventilator I shall ask her because it's not unusual here to go without electricity. She must have others in same situation. She was supposed to come on Wednesday.

Leave a comment:

• Ellie
    replied
    denise It should tell you in the NIV machine manual how long the battery lasts - usually in the 6-8hr range, depending on settings, humidifier etc. Mine is 8hrs on battery.

If you get regular power cuts, an external battery as backup is a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• denise
    replied
    Hi everyone last night we had bad wind and rain and no electricity. Bipap machine alarm woke me up. No idea what it was at first but when I ran in to check on Stephen there was the red alarm button on. I gather the battery kicks in but have no idea how long it's supposed to last. Thank goodness Stephen doesn't desperately need to use it but it was a concern. Something else to worry about

Leave a comment:

Working...
X