Personal alarm suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal alarm suggestions?

Hi everyone, my name is Katie and I am currently caring for my Nan whilst working full time from home.

We are thinking of maybe getting a personal alarm for Nan which can be worn around her neck/wrist. She is very rarely on her own but I will be returning to the office 1 day a week soon and we just want some peace of mind for the odd moment that she is alone.

Was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience with these?

Thank you,

Katie

Hi Katie,

Most local council offer a personal alarm system and you can check on their website. I use an alarm worn on my wrist and operated by Saga. These systems are dependent on the wearer being able to press the button so not great if you have a fall and are unconscious. There are alarm systems that work on automatic fall detection but they are expensive. Expect to pay around £15 per month for the push button type.

Best wishes,
    Barry
    I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

I've got a pendant one for free from my council and one night I was awakened by a loud a loud alarm coming from downstairs. My PEG must have pressed the button! 😂x
      ​​​​​

Comment

I think I need to get an alarm system sorted too.

He's a night owl and stays up on the computer. The other night I go to bed and at 3am I thought I could hear my name being called in the distance. Turns out he had fallen onto the spare bed (thankfully a soft landing) and couldn't get back up...one of these days I won't be light sleeping and can't bare the thought of him lying anywhere for a long period or worse in pain. Safe to say my sleeping is way out of sync now.
        I think I'll research tomorrow for a soft alarm, if that's possible. One that can wake me up, without a mini heart attack occuring.

x

Comment

i worry about stephen falling because he has doen it 3 times already and lucky ive been there to get him back up. one night he even fell out of bed but made enough noise to wake me up. the thing is if he goes down his hands are usually under him so i dont know how he would even reach an alarm and his hands are so bad i dont think he could press it. its got to the stage where i worry about him being out of sight. if he's missing for too long i check to see he's ok. when he sugests a walk on his own im worried sick until he arrives home.i could do with a drone to follow him

Comment

We got the personal alarm from "PPP taking care" for my mother because she lives on her own and is unsteady on her feet. It is expensive (~£45 / month) but seems to work very well. You can wear it as a pendant or wrist strap. If she accidentally presses the button without realising it, the booming voice asking if she is okay nearly frightens her to death. The call centre are very understanding (I suppose they should be for that amount).

https://taking.care/

Gary

Comment

Oh I really need to get something for Stephen. This morning he got up early (5.30) lucky I got up when I heard him moving about. I went into the kitchen to make tea and heard a bang and a crash. Found him on the floor unable to get back up. It was a struggle but eventually got him sitting on a chair. It was a worry. A worry that he fell. A worry he could have been there a long time if I hadn't got up. A worry that it was difficult for me to get him off the floor. Getting an alarm would be a start but will he remember to wear it 🤔

Comment

I got an alarm for my dad (dementia) about 6 months ago. Best thing ever as he likes to go for a walk and forgets his phone. It had GPS tracker in it, you can use a mobile to text it and it texts back a location with a google map. There is a button on it, which if pressed, texts your mobile "Help me" when pressed. You can also phone it and talk to the person. 155.00 pounds and just a giff gaff sim card, I automatically set top up when it get's to 3 pounds. Only topped up once in all this time. You need to charge it on a docking station about every 3 or 4 days. So there is no call centre but linked to a relatives mobile. When I suggested one for Thomas my husband, he just gave me a look. He is never out without me in case of falls. Not sure how the button pressing would do if hands involved. Mum has 24/7 telecare with a big green flat button on the table in the kitchen and the bedroom, this is very expensive as 24/7 manned by a company but as she lives alone and is a falls risk, paid for by self directed support budget/direct payment. Some people use a baby monitor, I believe. Thomas also falls with his hands under him.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                  Oh I really need to get something for Stephen. This morning he got up early (5.30) lucky I got up when I heard him moving about. I went into the kitchen to make tea and heard a bang and a crash. Found him on the floor unable to get back up. It was a struggle but eventually got him sitting on a chair. It was a worry. A worry that he fell. A worry he could have been there a long time if I hadn't got up. A worry that it was difficult for me to get him off the floor. Getting an alarm would be a start but will he remember to wear it 🤔
                  Hi Denise,

Already a stressful day for you and Stephen and it’s only 9am. I hope he is not injured. Can you persuade him to use a walker? I use this provided by social services and a rollator outdoors.
                  I’m going to do this even if it kills me!

Comment

Oh I wish he would. He refuses to use a walking stick. He doesn't seem to want to admit there's a problem. Yet he complains of feeling giddy. I've told him one day he will fall and break bones but he just refuses to help himself. It's hard work it really is 😐

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                      ... he complains of feeling giddy.
                      denise How is Stephen's breathing? Does he get breathless?
                      ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                      Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

I don't think so but then he's been a smoker since the age of 15 and he's 70 next year.

Comment

Just wondering why he feels giddy - meds side effect, breathing, lack of calories or fluids could all be culprits, but he's obvs not particularly bothered by it.

Have a good weekend (even though our midweeks are probably the same as the weekends nowadays 😏 😁)

​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                          Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

hi ellie
                            i dont know why he feels giddy but says that when he is in bed he feels ok its when he gets up. i told him to get up slowly and do some stretches to get his circulation going. when he fell yesterday he had been sitting on the sofa, got to his feet and just toppled over. twice he went down some stairs and collapsed once he got to the bottom - i thought this strange. wouldn't you think more likely to fall after going upstairs rather than down? the first time he toppled over he had climbed up onto a wall and on turning to jump down he fell flat on his face and didn't even get to put his hands infront of him. i thought he had tripped but he admited he hadnt he had just collapsed. i dont know what the cause is ive tried with extra drinks and food, ive asked the doctor but didnt seem to get a response. if anyone has any ideas it would be great to hear. he dropped a glass of yoghurt drink on the keyboard yesterday and i am still getting stuck to it.

Comment

I'm always dropping stuff, it's just what we do. Falling over is next apparently. 😊x

Comment

Working...
                              X