No announcement yet.

exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you do the work and he watches football. I might have to try that because he wasn't very keen yesterday. He does have problems lifting his arms. I didn't realise there are so many versions of funky chicken!

Comment

Yeh exactly, pretty generous of me. He's entertained and I can crack on with his movements. Hahaha neither did I, the important part is that it's a slow movement, I just searched YouTube for the funky chicken there and I think his arm might fall off if I did it at that speed!

Comment

I told Stephen about assisted exercise. He thought it was a good idea. I said I just have to check your face for pain. That put him off he seemed to think I'd like that bit!
        who suggested ac/dc might that be a bit too adventurous!

Comment

Hahaha! Or check for a clenched smile?

Comment

Hey Denise

My husband suggested AC/DC as he hates 80s music.
            We have been doing our version of the Funky Chicken and it has now become something that makes us chuckle

Hand OT just left special hand splits and seems pleased with the results of the daily hand stretches.

Shower and hair trimmed by me, so pleased with today.

Off to search the proper Funky Chicken, it sounds scary.

Comment

the thing was i was singing funky chicken but when i looked it up on youtube i realised i was singing funky chicken but it was the goodies singing funky gibbon!
              i do the hair cutting. one day i had the wrong blade length. it will soon grow back i insisted.

Comment

Originally posted by denise View Post
                i do the hair cutting. one day i had the wrong blade length. it will soon grow back i insisted.
                My father-in-law used to say "There's only a week between a good haircut and a bad haircut"

Gary

Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

So true. I shall use that excuse next time

Comment

Hi all, about exercise: I was sent a sheet of hand exercises by my physio months ago. I did them regularly for a week and naughty me hasn’t done them since. I’ll print it, put it in a plastic folder thing and leave it by your riser/recliner chair because they can be done when I’m reading. I’ve started to do half an hour on my powered peddling machine. I’d stopped doing that also a few months ago. I started again about a week ago. I ‘Lloyd have to get some arm exercises out of one of my books. I’ve got weight and a stretchy band that I haven’t used since I went to the gym regularly. I don’t fancy using the weights but the stretchy band would be great. Lynne x
                    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
                    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Hi all, I'm starting to lose the grip of fingers and thumb, with everything small or delicate. My palms are still stronger, so to hold 'broom handle' thick things like cutlery still works.

I am trying hand squeezers and a large rubber ball to exercise fingers. It helps but is really tiring and i can still feel my fingers curling into my palms when i don't want them too.

Has anyone found single finger stretching exercises helpful to prolong strength, or is it just wasting time (and hope) that it could make a small difference and delay the inevitable.

Any suggestions and experience is appreciated. Thanks,
                      Kent

Comment

Sadly I think it's a waste of time as my right hand is visibly getting thinner than my left. Guess which is my dominant one? ☹️

Comment

Hi Kent and welcome to the Forum (cool avatar 😁)

I'm going to disappoint you and say there's no magic exercise regime which helps preserve function, but you can keep muscles and joints supple and mobile by stretching them and doing gentle exercises - if it feels too much, it is too much.

The muscles which control your finger curls are actually in your forearm and, if your fingers are generally in a curled in position, it causes the muscles to contract and makes stretching out the fingers uncomfortable. It's best to stretch out the fingers actively or passively from early on - I've worn braces at night since mine started curling into my palm.

I'm sorry you're having difficulty - glad you can manage the Shrek-sized cutlery!!

Love Ellie.
                          ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
                          Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent R View Post
                            Hi all, I'm starting to lose the grip of fingers and thumb, with everything small or delicate. My palms are still stronger, so to hold 'broom handle' thick things like cutlery still works.

I am trying hand squeezers and a large rubber ball to exercise fingers. It helps but is really tiring and i can still feel my fingers curling into my palms when i don't want them too.

Has anyone found single finger stretching exercises helpful to prolong strength, or is it just wasting time (and hope) that it could make a small difference and delay the inevitable.

Any suggestions and experience is appreciated. Thanks,
                            Kent
                            Hi Kent,

The very first symptom I noticed was difficulty tying my shoelaces. It sounds like you're only exercising the muscles that close your hand (flexors). I'm no expert, but when I saw the physio for the first time last week, she said it's also important to exercise the muscles that open the hand (extensors). I have some Meglio Therapy Putty (other makes available), which can be squeezed and stretched into different shapes with one hand. It can be quite entertaining just playing with the stuff. Alternatively, a thick rubber band across your fingers and thumb would counteract the gripping exercises.
                            Each day is made easier with a bit of humour.

Comment

I may be a grumpy old man but sometimes I think these 'experts' know nothing about MND and treat us like 'normal' people. One nutritionist was convinced that I could gain weight. 😞

Comment

Thanks Ellie and Gary...I'm going to do stretching each finger more, throughout each day. That seems to make sense. I have also given up on shoe laces, writing my name and holding anything small with one hand (because I drop everything). Just got a long shoe horn and some really comfy laceless Sketchers that just slip on, but still look like lace ups.

Comment

Working...
                                X