Open wide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open wide

Tooth brushing someone else is very very difficult! Any tips from other caregivers? I am afraid the vibrating handle will knock his teeth out! All f a sudden he cannot get his arms and hands to control a toothbrush and he is obsessive about great oral hygiene.

Hi Betty,

i think I made a thread about this previously too asking the same thing, but I use an electric toothbrush for him and usually do his teeth just once a day. Like someone pointed out, don't press the switch on until the brush is touching his teeth or in his mouth or it'll be toothpaste everywhere haha. I used to support his wrist while he took charge but too week now so I just do it.

Might sounds daft, but I just say out loud what area I'm going to so there's no surprises. So a lot of teeth announcements like 'Lower left', 'open', 'smile' 'teeth together'

It did take a while to get in to a routine that worked for us and also until I found out how sensitive his gums are, so I knew where to avoid in the future.

Got a mouthwash for back up too in case family visit and he cant be bothered doing a full teeth clean.

Hope this helps somehow x

Comment

Oh Tess it sure does!!! I have been doing it like the way you started.i love the command tip! I will try that today! Same here w holding his wrist but it doesn’t work anymore.

Comment

Tess is right, Betty - it's a good habit to get into to say which teeth you're going to do each time, upper outside right or whatever, so we know what to expect!

I have a routine of starting at the very back of a surface and the helper brushes in one direction all the way to the other side, before starting on a different surface and so on - that way no part of the teeth is missed (I'm fussy about my teeth too)

And you only need a small amount of toothpaste.

Good luck!

Love Ellie.
        ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Spinal (hand) Onset.
        Eye gaze user - No functional limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Comment

Working...
        X