Accommodation Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accommodation Rant

This is simply a rant from a carer/P.A and of course in humourous form (taken from the TV show 'friends' I'll switch a swear word with 'puppy').

So moving out of our second floor flat is taking puppy ages. My partner has not been outside since March. We've signed up with all housing association registers in our home area months ago (which I'll be respectful and not name).

We got exciting news last week with the announcement of lots of new houses and flats being released to rent for October move in time. Puppy brilliant!

Only to find the 2 ground floor options are only open to 'general needs' and not 'wheelchair accessible' categories and so we were unable to puppy bid for it. What the pup?!

In this day and age I feel it's puppy rediculous that new build social housing is not automatically wheelchair accessible. I know various building contracts in Scotland state that ground floor accomodation must be adapted for wheelchair use and so puppy typical for our home town to not follow suit.

I have spent today emailing local councillors to express my disappointment on 1. The lack of housing in the area in general and 2. The lack of consideration for accessible property requirements.

The next area to mention is, with housing associations the terminally ill are in amongst various categories including homelessness, victims of abuse, unemployment etc on the waiting lists and so I stated in my email that I'm keen to know where the pup do the terminally ill fit in and how is this prioritised (no 'puppy' terminology was used in the email correspondence)

Oh the puppy frustrations of the past few days trying to navigate a puppy system! We'll wait to hear what councillors are so kind to respond come Monday. Next email with be to Sturgeon!

Rant over. Tired pup here.

x

oh tess i love your humour and understand how annoyed and frustrated you must be. i cant believe what you have just said but nothing surprises me. years ago the government said that housing in general, not just social housing, would have wheelchair access. at the time i thought that it would mean that houses would be built without a step and rainwater would pour in. as far as i knew that was what was planned so its quite a shock to hear what you have just said.
    our house is on 3 floors and its is going to be very very difficult when stephen cannot get around. i do not know how on earth we are going to cope but that is another story.
    i hope local government or someone can help you. with everything else you don't need all this.
    denise
    xx

Comment

Fingers crossed something comes out of my email session. Can Stephen still navigate the 3 floors?
      x

Comment

Stays mainly on 2 floors. I just worry about him on bare concrete stairs. They are quite steep.

Comment

Yeh I can imagine. Are you also looking for a new place on one level?

Comment

we will have to do something. there is so much to think about. not just one level but bathroom facilities, wheel chair space inside and out. not that he needs a wheel chair yet but who knows when. i dont want to rush into something. honestly i feel like we should be doing something and then i think just take one day at a time.

Comment

What I do is plan everything in my head to identify potential problems and, if I can I fix them, then when I need to have whatever it's easy to do. 😁x

Comment

Yeh it's a lot to think about in one go Denise, never mind future stuff..

Right now my time is split caring (bathing/dressing/feeding/teeth brushing/arm exercises/toileting), maintenance (hair trimmed, nails clipped, dry skin moisturised), attempting an online course, maybe fit exercise in to keep me going, lots of emailing/phone calls re the suitable accomodation situation, then house normalities washing, cooking, cleaning, recently MOT troubles and a broken washing machine (good times) then organising the various OT, physio and Dr appointments. The best part being actually hanging out to watch a series or movie together 💞 I know alot of carers are going through the exact same or even more if you have kids too.

If I get called back in from furlough come October, I'm scuppered! Secretly hoping I never have to return as really dreading getting carers involved, but thus is life. Thankful for every moment and truly grateful for this furlough time together.

That's very organised of you Matthew, a good strategy!

x

Comment

Crisis management - stay calm/cool. NOT EASY. Call MP/social worker and explain you need help.

Focus on basic essentials first, just to live.

I was in the same predicament, only I was the one with MND and family ran to the hills and worse. It is common.

Some pro carers are excellent, with DP you get to choose them.
                  Copyright Graham

Comment

What is DP? Please

Comment

Tess

I feel your pain. Dad with dementia got him a flat in a council high rise when diagnosed a decade ago, then after Grenfell. They have decided to knock down all 48 high rises in North Lanarkshire, Scotland (over 20 years), they said that it was because they only have a 50 year life span, had been up since the 60s so that what puppy nonsense. Of course, dad would be in the first to go. If that was so why was there no house building, a little has started under SNP and zero under Labour before that. The high rise flats were being demolished (full of elderly and disabled because it had a lift). 100s and 100s of elderly frail and disabled, many living alone. Not many one bed available and there is the puppy bedroom tax (puppy Westminister), dad has to pay extra a month even though it is still the smallest available

After getting the MP, local counciler and the Vetran society involved he was listed for the only accessable flats 28 flats, newly built, ahd to literally wait as it was being built. It is great after over 2 years of stress, he is in a first floor flat with a lift, no wet room but a shower. A lady with a husband in a wheelchair was promised a wet room and it was not done.

Great that you have managed to keep your job, mine went with the parents diagnosis and now husband has MND.

We are in private rent in the land of 2 up and 2 down there is literally no accessable places and only retired places with a long waiting list. Waiting for a nod to hopefully get a bungalow nearer relatives in Wales, hoping that the ability to pay 6 months rent up front will swing it. We have stairs to first floor and stairs down to the bathroom at moment. Hope with family help to pay the rent if the numbers don't crunch, I plan to try and work a few hours to the 120 pounds you can earn a week max on Carer Allowance. Waiting for advice re Universal Credit, have PIP. It has been crazy trying to get a diagnosis during lock down and though PIP was straightforward everything else is puppy confusing. Write in plain English, put in a flow chart. If yes this happens, if NO that happens, it shouldn't need a rocket scientist. Have been getting help for the MND phone line. Sorry for the epic rant but no one else to tell.

Good luck

Comment

DeeH thanks for your response and what an absolute joke from start to finish. Rant away! The demolition of the high rise flats without provisions in place and for the most vulnerable is sickening! Sorry to hear about you job loss...the way things are going I don't think I'll be far behind you.

There is plenty going on with MND, caring and appointments never mind navigating a housing system or worrying about being imprisoned in a flat.

Our home area in Scotland quite clearly has an ageing population and so despite our more rare case as we're in our 20's and 30's, the council should be catching on that with a majority population over 60 they will most likely require accessible accomodation now and in the near future. I'll be going into politics soon no doubt.

I was looking into the carers thing too but saw that you hardly get anything from it and so couldn't afford it solely. My brain hurts sometimes, far to much going on, to think about, to worry about.

One day at a time.

x

Comment

My day today has been similarly frustrating. We are in a council property, first floor maisonette so two lots of stairs. No lift and they have refused to offer any solution to the external (although indoor) stairs. We have been looking at the houses advertised weekly for precisely a year trying to find something suitable. Nothing in a whole year. This week a property came up with a downstairs bedroom but it was bigger than we have been assessed as needing- which is exactly the same number of bedrooms as we currently have. So after much back and forth, pleading and begging that they see common sense, they have today given us a flat no, claiming that we are ‘adequately housed’. So instead of giving us a swap to a property of the same number of bedrooms they are spending tens of thousands of pounds adapting this maisonette but my husband will still have no way of actually getting out of it! They are changing the bathroom to a wet room, putting in a wash dry toilet and a through floor lift inside. How’s that for common sense!

Comment

That's seems rediculous Bex! It seems to be the folk who know less, make all the decisions even if it costs them. Nothing surprises me now!

A years a long time! Is this through housing associations?

Comment

DP is Direct Payments Fortuna. It is available in England and other parts of the UK have comparable systems.
                              Copyright Graham

Comment

Working...
                              X